Bug Deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we have used weather tech bug deflectors on the last three vehicles, one broke during a hard freeze and they sent me a knew one free.
so far the one on the expy is hanging in there with no cracks or damage. the car wash scares me as it really gets to wiggling during the dry cycle and high speed air. but so does the windshield wipers, just waiting for all three to fly away.
i did mount the current one with better rubber isolators to mitigate stress around the screw holes.
as far as keeping bugs off the window????? couldnt say

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I’m sending it back and they are issuing a refund. Thinking about it I bet you it was dropped in the factory and had a hairline crack possibly that wasn’t visible to me since it’s so dark. It’s hard to imagine it cracked where it did without some assistance.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I’m sending it back and they are issuing a refund. Thinking about it I bet you it was dropped in the factory and had a hairline crack possibly that wasn’t visible to me since it’s so dark. It’s hard to imagine it cracked where it did without some assistance.
That's probably exactly what happened. It had a little stress crack and the vibration made it open up.

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About a month back I ordered the OEM Ford Hood Deflector. Installed it and then the next day took it off because the look just isn't for me. However, my father just purchased an AVS Hood Deflector for his Expedition.

I compared the two and they're identical, including, the bumpers, hardware and even the instructions have the same pictures. The only difference. . .the Ford one has an embossed Ford Logo and the AVS one has an AVS logo.

Based on the pictures of the WeatherTech, it looks identical too --same instruction pictures, same design, same rubber bumpers. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all made by the same manufacturer and just re-branded.

@JExpedition07 my point being, is that I think you were just unlucky and received a defective one.

On another note, selling my OEM Ford one if anyone is interested. It's in the classifieds.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad they said not to return it, I thought it said to but I missed the “No Need” part. They said they will issue the refund with no return and to throw away the defective one at my discresion. I have to say the second customer service person I dealt with was very pleasant and is the only reason I will consider weathertech again, if I had never got away from the first guy I probably would have boycotted them. good customer service can make or break a brand. After I read that and read your replies I emailed them back and they are sending me a replacement and paying for all the shipping for both I received, must somehow refund the original shipping payment or something. Anyway they assured me this one will be to me in half the time the last one took. If they all seem the same and if it was a stress crack I’ll give them another shot to make it right. Loki has a point, and I always try to buy American.

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About a month back I ordered the OEM Ford Hood Deflector. Installed it and then the next day took it off because the look just isn't for me. However, my father just purchased an AVS Hood Deflector for his Expedition.

I compared the two and they're identical, including, the bumpers, hardware and even the instructions have the same pictures. The only difference. . .the Ford one has an embossed Ford Logo and the AVS one has an AVS logo.

Based on the pictures of the WeatherTech, it looks identical too --same instruction pictures, same design, same rubber bumpers. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all made by the same manufacturer and just re-branded.

@JExpedition07 my point being, is that I think you were just unlucky and received a defective one.

On another note, selling my OEM Ford one if anyone is interested. It's in the classifieds.
most likely they are made by same place, i had an avs stick on one on the 2013 f150 to cover up a bad rock chip, before the front end got creamed by a deranged lady, then the chip got fixed

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AVS has the contract for the Ford OEM. I ordered the Aeroskin for my Edge that is the exact thing ford sells for $50 more. Ordered the Aeroskin II for the Expedition. Will send pics once I have it installed.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AVS has the contract for the Ford OEM. I ordered the Aeroskin for my Edge that is the exact thing ford sells for $50 more. Ordered the Aeroskin II for the Expedition. Will send pics once I have it installed.
Is the Aeroskin II the one that sticks to the front of the hood? Who did you order from, directly from AVS or from another company?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the look of it too much so I taped the cracked one back together and reinstalled it for while I wait for the replacement to arrive hehe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69