Bumper Hitch Cover Falling Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

David Sheets

Reaction score
Update: I discovered the problem and will post this for those who may experience a similar problem.

When attaching the OEM replacement cover, I had to spread/open/widen the cover to engage the tabs & clips. As a result, the lip on the clips was not engaging inside the slot on the bumper allowing the cover to work its way out of the slots. Therefore, I used a hair dryer to heat the cover allowing me to reshape and widen/spread open the cover so that when I insert it now, I have to compress it slightly to insert the tabs and clips and I am able to hear a distinctive "click" when the lips spring upward and lock into the slots. It's been a week and it is as snug as a bug in a rug!!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I discovered the problem and will post this for those who may experience a similar problem.

When attaching the OEM replacement cover, I had to spread/open/widen the cover to engage the tabs & clips. As a result, the lip on the clips was not engaging inside the slot on the bumper allowing the cover to work its way out of the slots. Therefore, I used a hair dryer to heat the cover allowing me to reshape and widen/spread open the cover so that when I insert it now, I have to compress it slightly to insert the tabs and clips and I am able to hear a distinctive "click" when the lips spring upward and lock into the slots. It's been a week and it is as snug as a bug in a rug!!

Ya, it has to line up....

Air00Max

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part # for this? Also, does it come painted silver or do you have to have it painted as well? Mine either fell off (which I don't think happened, since I think the tabs are pretty sturdy), or someone stole it. Hate not having the hitch cover on.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone have the part # for this? Also, does it come painted silver or do you have to have it painted as well? Mine either fell off (which I don't think happened, since I think the tabs are pretty sturdy), or someone stole it. Hate not having the hitch cover on.

Every WalMart parking lot has an assorted variety of painted hitch covers! lmao. kidding.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking of the bumper hitch cover - Do models with HD Tow Package come without it? I only ask because when I build my 2020 Expy online, it shows the hitch cover removed once I add the HD Tow Package. Curious as to whether the HD Tow Package uses a different hitch that doesn't allow the fitment of the cover?

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking of the bumper hitch cover - Do models with HD Tow Package come without it? I only ask because when I build my 2020 Expy online, it shows the hitch cover removed once I add the HD Tow Package. Curious as to whether the HD Tow Package uses a different hitch that doesn't allow the fitment of the cover?

At least with my 2019 w/ HD Tow, it has the cover.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think all new expeditions come with a receiver that is hidden with that little POS cover. Maybe the XL trim doesn't, but, the receiver comes with all the other trims as far as I know...

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I believe it has to be painted to match. I looked into it because at less than 1K miles some jerk scratched mine backing into a spot (and I parked away from everyone next to an “island” so I could only have a car on one side of me). I wanted to replace it if it was as simple as buying another painted to match. As misfortune had it, I hit a deer in August and the body shop repainted my cover as part of the $14K job for free. All good now.