Buy 2021 now or wait for 2022…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Reaction score
Hello all, first post, have enjoyed lurking thus far.

Looking to replace the wife’s minivan. Have three growing kids. Thinking about a Max 4x4. She’s not wild about driving something this big, so it’ll probably become my daily.

Local dealer has a 2021 Limited, tow package, eLSD, CCD, special edition, pretty much everything I want, for $75k. Don’t think they will discount it any.

Looks like the 2022 will have updated Sync and perhaps other goodies from the F150. But based on another thread here, looks like production won’t start until Dec or Jan. Plus who knows with covid and chip shortages and whatever. So what are your thoughts? Would you buy a ’21 now, or wait for a ’22?

We do have some road trips and ski trips planned so it would get put to use before end of the year. Also, I am not totally sold on the giant screen from the Mach E. I like having hard buttons for hvac. And current Apple CarPlay is fine with me.

But the dash/screen in the ’21 does look a bit dated. And obviously the newer interior would probably help resale. I generally don’t keep cars more than 5 years. Are there any other expected or rumored updates for ’22 that would be worth waiting for?

I realize this is a totally personal/subjective decision. Just interested in opinions from current owners.

Thanks

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Me personally, I would wait if I didn't need it right away. As nice as the 21my is, I honestly would pass on it for a denali xl due to sync 3 and not having air suspension as an option. The screen will be a huge update in itself(I personally don't find anything off putting about and actually like the hybrid f150 interior, which the expy will mirror) as well as the increase in tech. But the two big things to wait for, powerboost and generator, will be worth it in my opinion.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd wait if you can. As mentioned, Sync 4 alone is worth it.

OP
OP
B

battlewagon

Reaction score
Yeah, I have an itch for a new car, but it's not urgent, and I know the newer model probably makes more sense, particularly since they aren't discounting the '21. The hybrid would be nice.

This thread seems to suggest that production won't even begin until 1/18/22. Is that a lot later than usual? Seems like I'm used to seeing new model years on the lot well before the end of the calendar year.

I suppose if they start taking orders in October, that would be enough to hold me over.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If prices were too high, vehicles would be sitting on lots. These are supply issues not pricing issues. Small solace to those forced to pay, but it is what it is.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
The 2021 F-150's are a big leap in technology, the question no one seams to know is how much of that is going to segue into the 2022 Expy. Powerboost Hybrid and a new larger nav screen and upgraded sync tech seem likely. The questions I would have are if the Expy's will get the generator and the bluecruise options that could be a big jump over the current model. While many people lament the active safety features and driving assist functions, bluecruise has the potential to make the four hour-travel sports trek a lot easier on the highway, and the generator could be a really nice feature during power outages not to mention camping trips. I think I saw some speculation that Lincoln's version of bluecruise was going to be added to the NAVI for 2022, but not sure about that either. I guess the later start date is causing some of this to still be unknown, in previous model years I think we knew more about the upcoming model year changes.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2021 F-150's are a big leap in technology, the question no one seams to know is how much of that is going to segue into the 2022 Expy. Powerboost Hybrid and a new larger nav screen and upgraded sync tech seem likely. The questions I would have are if the Expy's will get the generator and the bluecruise options that could be a big jump over the current model. While many people lament the active safety features and driving assist functions, bluecruise has the potential to make the four hour-travel sports trek a lot easier on the highway, and the generator could be a really nice feature during power outages not to mention camping trips. I think I saw some speculation that Lincoln's version of bluecruise was going to be added to the NAVI for 2022, but not sure about that either. I guess the later start date is causing some of this to still be unknown, in previous model years I think we knew more about the upcoming model year changes.
I want to see PowerBoost in the Expedition as much as anyone, but isn't this a mid-cycle update for the Expedition? They made those changes to the F150 on a complete redesign - they just happened to keep the design aesthetic pretty similar so it looks like a refresh when it wasn't. I guess without anything from Ford I'd say yes we'll get the interior updates but no powertrain options in '22.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"This thread seems to suggest that production won't even begin until 1/18/22. Is that a lot later than usual? Seems like I'm used to seeing new model years on the lot well before the end of the calendar year.
I suppose if they start taking orders in October, that would be enough to hold me over."

I don't follow these things too closely unless I have an interest in placing an order. In 2018, the order bank opened in mid-July and production on the 2019's began in October. I ordered our Expedition the second week the order banks were open and it showed up the last week of November. I would speculate that the Covid slowdown and perhaps contractual supply issues may have forced Ford to lengthen the MY assembly period to utilize all of the components that they anticipated would be required for a "normal" MY.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If prices were too high, vehicles would be sitting on lots. These are supply issues not pricing issues. Small solace to those forced to pay, but it is what it is.

Supply has a little bit of effect on the price fyi. lol. I bought my 18 for $16K off list, you can't hardly find any discounts now....