Buy 2021 now or wait for 2022…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked about production dates for the 2022
Here is what I received from another member
  • 09/03/2021 - 2021MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 09/30/2021 - 2021MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 12/23/2021 - 2021MY Job Last Date

• 10/13/2021 - 2022MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 11/18/2021 - 2022MY Scheduling Begins
  • 01/18/2022 - 2022MY Job #1 Date
Around october.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to see PowerBoost in the Expedition as much as anyone, but isn't this a mid-cycle update for the Expedition? They made those changes to the F150 on a complete redesign - they just happened to keep the design aesthetic pretty similar so it looks like a refresh when it wasn't. I guess without anything from Ford I'd say yes we'll get the interior updates but no powertrain options in '22.
This would be my guess too.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
Expedition is an expensive SUV/Truck and we are a few yrs away from once a decade massive jump in tech/design. F150 hybrid and lightning rolling out now. Ford is busy rolling out bronco, maverick, mach-e too. Expedition and Superduty usually get new stuff last. If you are going to keep vehicle 15yrs+ wait patiently...

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition is an expensive SUV/Truck and we are a few yrs away from once a decade massive jump in tech/design. F150 hybrid and lightning rolling out now. Ford is busy rolling out bronco, maverick, mach-e too. Expedition and Superduty usually get new stuff last. If you are going to keep vehicle 15yrs+ wait patiently...
Pretty much this. If I'm going to get a new Expedition, it darn well is going to be a 2022+. The interior design has been around since 2015(F-150).

JohnF

Reaction score
Hello all, first post, have enjoyed lurking thus far.

Looking to replace the wife’s minivan. Have three growing kids. Thinking about a Max 4x4. She’s not wild about driving something this big, so it’ll probably become my daily.

Local dealer has a 2021 Limited, tow package, eLSD, CCD, special edition, pretty much everything I want, for $75k. Don’t think they will discount it any.

Looks like the 2022 will have updated Sync and perhaps other goodies from the F150. But based on another thread here, looks like production won’t start until Dec or Jan. Plus who knows with covid and chip shortages and whatever. So what are your thoughts? Would you buy a ’21 now, or wait for a ’22?

We do have some road trips and ski trips planned so it would get put to use before end of the year. Also, I am not totally sold on the giant screen from the Mach E. I like having hard buttons for hvac. And current Apple CarPlay is fine with me.

But the dash/screen in the ’21 does look a bit dated. And obviously the newer interior would probably help resale. I generally don’t keep cars more than 5 years. Are there any other expected or rumored updates for ’22 that would be worth waiting for?

I realize this is a totally personal/subjective decision. Just interested in opinions from current owners.

Thanks
We looked for our '21 for a couple of months and couldn't find exactly what we wanted anywhere (color, Limited, Special Edition, etc). When we found one in another state, we snagged it, and so glad we did. Had 10 miles on it. Dealer did discount it some (not much ). We were not willing to settle for less than exactly what we wanted. So, if you found exactly what you want, I would get it now. Good luck.

mamores24

Reaction score
Here’s our experience this summer:

We’ve been thinking of upgrading from a ‘14 Edge to either an Expedition or Tahoe especially after the the redesign of the Tahoe. After figuring we liked the Expedition more than the Tahoe in spite of the tech upgrades we didn’t care for much else.

Using the Ford site and TrueCar we found the model with everything we were looking for (Silver, Limited, Stealth (303 package) and 2nd Row captains chairs). I kid you not, according to TrueCar, there were only 9 in the whole country nationwide and only one in TX (about 25 miles away from us). Hearing what everyone has heard about shortage in supply, lack of discounts, unwillingness of dealer negotiating, we resided ourselves that we weren’t going to get a car this year at a good price. I created my spreadsheet and calculated a good price based on what I was hearing and a pie in the sky price that I knew would be unrealistic.

I told my wife, let’s go look at the one we want to check the red stitching on the Stealth package thinking she would not like it and then I could broaden my net for searching and give us a better chance at finding a less specific unit where we might have a better chance at finding a good deal.

At the dealer there were less than 10 total Expeditions. At least 2 other dealers we had previously visited had even less than that. The salesman commented that all of them are selling at MSRP because of the shortage and that they couldn’t sell them for less because they need to pay the bills. I countered that units sitting in the lot aren’t doing that either. We weren’t looking to buy a car that day, but we walked away with a new Expedition at more than 25% off the MSRP before taxes. I’m talking about purchase price.

So yeah there are some good deals to be had. Best of luck.

Nagodesi

Reaction score
Here’s our experience this summer:

We’ve been thinking of upgrading from a ‘14 Edge to either an Expedition or Tahoe especially after the the redesign of the Tahoe. After figuring we liked the Expedition more than the Tahoe in spite of the tech upgrades we didn’t care for much else.

Using the Ford site and TrueCar we found the model with everything we were looking for (Silver, Limited, Stealth (303 package) and 2nd Row captains chairs). I kid you not, according to TrueCar, there were only 9 in the whole country nationwide and only one in TX (about 25 miles away from us). Hearing what everyone has heard about shortage in supply, lack of discounts, unwillingness of dealer negotiating, we resided ourselves that we weren’t going to get a car this year at a good price. I created my spreadsheet and calculated a good price based on what I was hearing and a pie in the sky price that I knew would be unrealistic.

I told my wife, let’s go look at the one we want to check the red stitching on the Stealth package thinking she would not like it and then I could broaden my net for searching and give us a better chance at finding a less specific unit where we might have a better chance at finding a good deal.

At the dealer there were less than 10 total Expeditions. At least 2 other dealers we had previously visited had even less than that. The salesman commented that all of them are selling at MSRP because of the shortage and that they couldn’t sell them for less because they need to pay the bills. I countered that units sitting in the lot aren’t doing that either. We weren’t looking to buy a car that day, but we walked away with a new Expedition at more than 25% off the MSRP before taxes. I’m talking about purchase price.

So yeah there are some good deals to be had. Best of luck.
can you pm me the dealer and the deal you got? planning on getting one but northeast dealer have barely any unstuck on not listed on their website.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The '21 pickin's are getting pretty slim, so the only way you'll get exactly what you want is if you order one--particularly if you have a lot of specific vehicle/equipment needs. If you have access to one, you ought to be able to find a dealer who will honor X-Plan on an order--if not when the order banks open, shortly after. If not, there's always Costco and other groups offering discount purchasing. Plus, an "ordered" vehicle will not sit on a dealer's lot more than a couple days and not eat into their holdback (if that even happens anymore due to the scarcity of new vehicles). Some dealers may have allocation slots, check first. Even if they do, they might be reluctant to order one for stock if they thought it would sit around and eat into the holdback. If you're looking at ordering, it is still a buyers' market.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the update to the nav is anything to go by, if you dnt need the additional features in sync 4, blue cruise, or lane centering, 2021 maybe a better option. However, due to their scarcity nowadays, itll be hard to get a good deal.
Esp with the tow pkg included.