Buying a 08 Eddie Bauer and need clarity, please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, that's why I've always bought used from private parties. Most individuals aren't slick enough to fake a smog check passing, like one of those gypsy lots can. I only bought one vehicle used from a dealership, and ironically it had more problems at 1 1/2 years old than the older ones did. It got rear ended and totaled only 9 months after purchase. Never buy a black car, their like black cats, bad luck. I own green now, the color of money.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update....

Truck still cant pass inspection... I let it loose.
Going to see a black on black 07 tomorrow.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Swade. That dealers shady. If in fact it's a Ford dealership doing this, shame on them, if it's just a used car lot, that's pretty much the way they are, sneaky! Don't buy anything that smells fishy right off the bat. Theirs plenty of things that will pop up later, don't start off with issues.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@1955moose no it wasnt a Ford dealer but a big used car spot in NY

Update..

However, we just saw a 07 and are very happy with it... 84k miles clean body no rust I think this may be the winner. We put a deposit on this and supposed to pick up Monday Whoo Hoooooo!!! No back up cam or bluetooth but does have navi, leather rear tv and a sunroof :)

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Swade. That dealers shady. If in fact it's a Ford dealership doing this, shame on them, if it's just a used car lot, that's pretty much the way they are, sneaky! Don't buy anything that smells fishy right off the bat. Theirs plenty of things that will pop up later, don't start off with issues.

I'm feeling the opposite. The dealer, apparently, is making a good faith effort to fix it before selling it, and didn't simply put some sawdust in the tranny to make a sale.

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bobmbx - I somewhat agree... There were always up front with what needed to be done on the truck...
Even when I went last night to get a refund on the deposit (which I had to fill out a form and have to wait 7 days)

I just felt like if its this much of a problem I dont think I want to deal with it

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swade, is this new place going to smog and certify before you take it? I'm assuming they will. Didn't mean to play hardball with you, but I've seen and heard so many horror stories both here, and in my personal travels with friends and business associates, im just wanting you to not be one of the many that post here right after taking home their Expedition. I've been involved with cars/trucks going on 48 years now. You made the smart move to buy elsewhere. If your not having an inspection by an outside shop, try every switch, every item, etc. If you notice any large item not working proper, that's your bargaining chip. Good luck.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
In New York, every car sold by a dealer must have a new State inspection. A dealer can't legally sell a car that won't pass inspection. Swade, I assume the seven day wait on your deposit return is because the check for your deposit has to clear? Otherwise, if you paid the deposit in cash, he's required to immediately refund it in cash.

Check that '07 well and ask yourself if the price is worth the hassles you'll have when it comes time to remove spark plugs that have been in it for 13 years. Do your homework, because in New York that's a job that can cost well over a grand. Just make sure you know what you are getting and that you are paying a fair price.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I never put down a penny. Some are almost impossible to get money returned from. It is part of their four square and hold'em games.

I tell the sales group I will spend money when they make a real deal. (I research and know what I will spend before I go in) Until then I will not play their games. Most are nice about it and deal politely. Others act insulted and I walk away, fast. If they can't treat me good before I am a customer I bet they will not respect me in the morning.

Last edited: