Buying a used rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minichunks

Reaction score
I've been searching a lot for a used 4th gen expedition, and almost all of them seem to be former rental cars. Has anyone had any experience buying something like this? I've had my eye on a 2019 Limited MAX with 35,000 that i'm pretty sure i can get for a little over $40k. That seems to be right around the right price when buying from a dealership. This particular one is being sold by a Ford dealer. Just wondering if i should run based on its prior ownership.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These engines are expensive and have not been proven reliable to me.
Get a good warranty.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to say. Most people renting a full size SUV probably aren't going to beat the thing. Most likely a guy flying in from out of town, or a big family coming in and need the room. If it was a Camry, I'd probably pass. I know the nicer the rental car, the better I treat it. I've rented Cadillacs, Range Rovers, Tahoes, etc and took care of them. I've rented Camry's and Sonata's and tend to beat the hell out of them. Any used vehicle really is a crap shoot. Check the carfax for damage, maybe an independent inspection. Oh, and read that warranty real close...10 years or 100K is a great warranty...maybe. Good luck!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't worry about a former rental Expedition. A $24.99/day Altima or $18.99/Corolla on the other hand, no chance.

A warranty and pre-purchase inspection is wise on any vehicle purchase.

I'm a Cargurus fan. They list some 980 used 2018s. When you filter off rental/fleet, that gets rid of about 433, so not quite half.

Edit - you said 2019. Same results on Cargurs. 2408 2019's for sale, 1292, about half, former fleet/rental/corporate.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Our previous explorer and now our expedition were former rental cars. Didn’t have any issues with the explorer, and the only issue we’ve had with the expedition was the cold start rattle that was fixed under the ford power train warranty.

Not to say that all rentals will be perfect, but we haven’t had any issues so far (knock on wood) that would be caused from improper care/use in the expedition. Besides the paint, which needs a correction, the car looks and feels brand new.

Make sure to inspect everything, and go on a long test drive if it makes you feel better about your decision. We purchased an extended warranty with ours.

OP
OP
M

minichunks

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that the larger more expensive rentals are not typically beaten quite as badly as the cheaper sedans, and that is one consideration i've had in this decision. I'm also thinking rental companies maintain their fleets with a certain amount of care so they don't end up with cars breaking down. Having said that, you'd really have to try to kill a car in 30,000 miles.

Regarding Flexpedition's comments on Carguru's, i appreciate you trying to help me out. Unfortunately, once I put in my filters, the search becomes a bit narrower. 67 of the 75 in my search parameters are former rentals.

Under 50k, within 500mi of my house, black(the wife insists), Max XLT, Max Limited, no accidents, no lemon law

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only comment is, I know how I drive and treat any kind of rental. But with it being an expensive rental that might eliminate that crowd.....

jastevenson

Reaction score
I looked at used, including rentals. Biggest issue is that all of the ones I saw were 2018, and I had no interest in buying a 1st year model given all the problems people had with the 2018s. Second issue is that none of the rental fleet came as XLT 202a with automatic cruise, which was a requirement for me.

The price differential between a 2019 new and a first-year model 2018 with 35k miles was 5k. I chose to pay the extra 5k. Would've reconsidered for a 10k difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zanwahwarden