Buying a used rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I bought a used rental 18 Limited. I also bought an extended warranty. I was a little hesitant at first but it’s been a good decision so far. I have put about 15,000 miles on it so far. There are small cosmetic things I have found but I am making a list and will have it all fixed under the extended warranty one day.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been searching a lot for a used 4th gen expedition, and almost all of them seem to be former rental cars. Has anyone had any experience buying something like this? I've had my eye on a 2019 Limited MAX with 35,000 that i'm pretty sure i can get for a little over $40k. That seems to be right around the right price when buying from a dealership. This particular one is being sold by a Ford dealer. Just wondering if i should run based on its prior ownership.

Buying a car from a rent a car company is liking picking your wife from a house of ill repute … so many different people have driven it hard and without caring … I am not sure if I want to stick your key in it….

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My family has bought several rental cars from Hertz. Never a problem and best pricing we cold find on a low mileage car.

I'd just make sure I had a good powertrain warranty with an Ecoboost or any turbo motor.

MBFriend

Reaction score
In April 2018, we bought a used 2016 Limited that was a former Enterprise rental car. The car had a little more than 40,000 miles on it, so obviously it had been rented a lot. We got a great deal (less than $30k) and the car has been virtually problem-free. We had to fix the rear A/C actuator and replace the tires. After the fuses for the powerpoints kept blowing, I worried that the electrical system was going to be a constant source of problems, but the actual source of the problem was our Igloo cooler; once we replaced its power pack, the powerpoints and their fuses have been fine. We anticipate keeping the Expedition for at least 10 years, and we would return to the same dealer for another car (473 mile drive, one-way, but worth it).

Scott2015

Reaction score
We bought our '15 former rental as a CPO from a Ford dealer w 35K on the odo for $37K about one-year after it was put into service. So far, repairs have included fuel pump (covered under CPO warranty, $100 deductible), battery cable replacement (not under warranty, $940), rear-window washer fluid line sprang a leak ($340). The only annoying thing that I haven't fixed is the driver's seat rocks slightly ($1000 quote to fix) and a new "whoosh" sound has started after I let up on the throttle that I'll need to get checked out. From an accountant's perspective, letting the car rental company eat the first-year depreciation made sense and let us afford the car we wanted/needed. In general, we're very happy with our go everywhere car.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Purchased a 2017 former fleet EL w/ 60K in November of 2018. Now at 95,000 miles with around 5000 miles towing. No issues apart from a bad resister on the fan blower, and plugs needed changing around 90K. I have an extended warranty till 125,000. I'll probably trade up to an 18 or 19 when the warranty expires.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I have owned a 2005 expy from enterprise auto ,low mileage, great shape, like new. Now I just bought a 2018 from the same place you cant bet the price its as good as from a dealer way better price.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was a traveling consultant for 11 years. without regard to what I rented, I drove them all like it was my last day on earth. it was only 4 or 5 days at a time, but just based on my experience, and what I knew of the guys I worked with, you couldn't give me a rental. I sure wouldn't pay money for one.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't worry about a former rental Expedition. A $24.99/day Altima or $18.99/Corolla on the other hand, no chance.

I travel a lot, and I prefer large cars....that said I drive ALL rentals the same....like theyre NOT mine and like I DONT have to maintain them or make them last.

you've heard drive it like you stole it....nah....Drive it like a RENTAL that has full (corp. insurance) coverage!
abuse them in the name of testing it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt