Buying a used rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

minichunks

Reaction score
I looked at used, including rentals. Biggest issue is that all of the ones I saw were 2018, and I had no interest in buying a 1st year model given all the problems people had with the 2018s. Second issue is that none of the rental fleet came as XLT 202a with automatic cruise, which was a requirement for me.

The price differential between a 2019 new and a first-year model 2018 with 35k miles was 5k. I chose to pay the extra 5k. Would've reconsidered for a 10k difference.

For a new 2019 Limited MAX, they are selling anywhere from mid 50's to low 60's. I'm looking at around 35,000mi for 40-45K

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In February I rented an Explorer. It had about 35,000 on it. I was getting it from Salt Lake and returning it in Denver. I had the feeling they were getting ready to unload it. Before I got out of the parking garage in SLC, the "Change Oil Soon" notice popped up. I wasn't going to put that many miles on it and didn't want to hassle going back to the rental office so I kept going. I did check the oil to see that the level was ok. By the time I returned it it was saying "Change Oil". This car also had a few body dings and windshield chips.

So I think the change oil notice must have come up when they moved the car before I picked it up. Maybe they ignored it because they were getting rid of it.

It just didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about how they care for the cars.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There 2018 we own it's a former rental from Enterprise and sold via Enterprise used car sales. Truck has had no issues outside of warranty work.

Rentals are normally maintained at all the service intervals, etc... Also, these vehicles move out of the fleet faster than your compacts and midsized cars.

I would just look at where it spent its fleet life at if you can pull such. In the case of buying directly from Enterprise they can pull such.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just know if I saw an issue with my rental, I would just run it and if it died I'd just call the rental place for a new one. If it was my own, I would stop driving it and fix the problem right away......

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These engines are expensive and have not been proven reliable to me.
Get a good warranty.

How many have you owned and blew up? Ford has sold well over a million EcoBoost in the F-150 alone and it even sits in the latest GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a '17 last year, when a whole bunch of them were being retired by the rental companies. Most had around 40 - 50 k on the clock. They were cheaper than a '15 expy (25 - 30k) or even explorer because the market was saturated with them. I did not expect, nor did I have, any issues (except fighting with the dealer who wanted to sell me an aftermarket extended warrantee).

As for ecoboost reliability issues, they are expensive to fix, but don't seem to need all that much repair (and I really like the gas mileage and low-end grunt). Comparing it to my wife's '18 yukon, she gets close to the same mileage. Mine rides better, is quieter, and I notice hers winds up quite a bit higher between shifts.

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
Bought a third gen 2016 XLT EL w 45,000 miles on it in 2017 (rental). Now have 60,000. Zero problems except AC line to rear of vehicle which cracked at 55,000. $1100.00, Installed new chrome lug nuts and got rid of those stupid St St/steel ones $50.00 plus 2 hrs struggle. Put in new brakes/rotors and tires at 58,000. Runs perfectly, no engine, trans, rear issues. Son in law bought 2018 XLT EL he has put on 50,000 miles no problems, will have to replace his lug nuts too.

Last edited:

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
I own a 2018 Expy Limited which I bought from Enterprise in OCT 2019, it had 40,000 miles on it and in very good condition, now I have 47,000 and so far so good. this is my first ford vehicle and the first time buying from rental car company, so I did a lot of research then think about the good and bad on both fronts. I am having no issue at present.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've rented 3 Expeditions since owning mine. I believe they are durable vehicles, but, I would never buy one that was a rental car for my own daily driver... All of the "things" that I've wanted to try/test in my own vehicle that could result in issues immediately/later I did in those rentals...sometimes multiple times...just because it's really fun. If I borrow a friend/family member's vehicle, it is babied. I'll drive my own vehicle how I want, but go easy for the most part.

As for a rental???

As they say: "Fastest car in the world is any rental car..."

Another saying comes to mind in terms of savings on buying a rental: "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!"

YMMV

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Expedition through Hertz Rent-to-Buy. Had some exterior dings, but I don't care, and got a good price. The don't provide maintenance records, but claim the Ford maintenance schedule is followed. (Which I believe because it would be a legal liability if they didn't). Didn't get the extended warranty because it was through a third party, and those have always been difficult if not impossible to make a claim. Candidly I have a startup rattle that needs to be checked out. Hoping it's not the cam phasers.

All in all a great car, happy so far.