Buying Expy with rebuit trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captainjerky

Reaction score
Hey all-

I found a 2005 XLT with leather and other goodies in the trade-in bullpen at a local dealer. They're going to have to fix the bubbling paint on the tailgate (previous owner did a farm-job on it and it doesn't look good) and rebuild the tranny before putting it up for sale. It has 104,000 miles on it. I told them I'd be interested but would want to know what shop did the rebuild.
That said, if the price is right, it seems like a darn good deal. Decent miles, plus a rebuilt transmission.
Any thoughts?

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bubbling paint is common, that's cool if they're gonna repaint it before you get it. Miles are pretty good, I bought my 05 with 105k and has 125k now. Just this week though I noticed a little slip in the tranny but like you said if you can get the shops name who rebuilt it and possibly any warranty info you should be golden. As long as the price is right of course, I think I way over paid for mine @ $14k but my credit sucks so it's to be expected I guess.

I'd also try to find out if the plugs and COP's have been changed and if they could possibly do those too if they haven't been done just to save you the headache of doing them. Good luck!

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Captainjerky

Reaction score
Plugs

Yeah, that's definitely on my negotiating items list... Hoping for some nice local trades to roll in. I don't mind flying to buy one, but if the check engine light comes on two days after I get home it's a lot easier to take it to the local dealer and ask what's going on.

Thanks,
Ryan

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Guess that depends on who rebuilt the tranny and their reputation. There is no reason a rebuilt tranny should not last the life of the vehicle if done correctly and properly maintained. The trannys in these are fairly durable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlself