Calibrations Available from 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
If I were to purchase a Diesel PU I would purchase the GM Duramax ISUZU mfg diesel engine
The Diesel guys who purchased our linear sensors seemed to favor them over the Ford
Never had any experience with the Cummins that Dodge uses
Ya I agree the factory calibrations leave a lot to be desired
Makes it fun to tweak them with new software
Too much work for me at my age now to change parts
Just sit in the vehicle, plug in the calibrator, install new software & woo hoo runs much better
Sure you can get even more by removing Particulate Trap, Oxidation Cats etc but too much work for me anymore
Of course you must also reprogram PCM to delete linear sensor, knock sensor & temperature sensor inputs on the diesels
Not sure what that does to fuel mileage
Always believed that diesels that produce a lot of smoke are just wasting fuel & could & should be calibrated to consume all that fuel instead of wasting it
Don't you agree?

The current production L5P Duramax is a great platform to tune on if not looking to push it hard.

Simple tech, single turbo, and easy to work on.

From a particulates standpoint the industry took a significant down turn with the introduction of "blue" and the use of DEF is terrible for longevity.

The unfortunate part on current emissions is the accepted notion that performed a Regen which essentially burns the same fuel 2x with heat in excess of 1300-1400 degrees is "environmentally friendly". Factory diesel trucks usually get around 18mpg. Deleted trucks get around 25mpg.

Not to mention the fact DPFs are actually made from previous metals inside, which clearly requires very high emission processes to refine. The 6.7 Cummins dpf alone has a little more than 3oz of platinum used in the honeycomb in the filter material.

In regards to the carbon that' visible. Yes black smoke can be equated to power when it's just a haze. Too much fuel cools the chambers and actually will hinder spool which turbos primarily respond to thermal expansion and not just flow of volume.

The kicker is gas exhaust in a closed room will kill you, diesel exhaust will jist make you feel sick. There's an unfortunate stigma around Diesel performance, but I personally know more 9sec trucks weighing around 6klbs than gassers weighing in at 4k.

Here's why I love diesel! The guy who built this 6.7 Cummins powered nova is name Ryan Milliken from Florida and he tuned this x275 racer to run 4s in the 1/8 with barely a haze.

Last edited: