Calibrations Available from 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Asked some questions of 5 Star
Here is their response
Planning to order this from them soon
Should really improve throttle response & probably improve fuel mileage if you don't play with the added performance. :burnout:
Hi Michael,

The nGauge is currently the only tuner with support for your application. The 10 speed brought along many changes in the tuning world and that meant support for custom tuning taking longer to come around. So for now, this is all we have available. It can be unplugged once you are finished programming the vehicle, and it does not have to remain plugged in to run a custom tune.

Shifting is part of the tune changes, along with throttle response and the additional hp and tq. If you wanted it to shift at a certain point after getting your tune, you could request a revision for that. I would recommend running the tune to see how it suits you and go from there.

The hesitation is also part of what the custom tune addresses. It will be much improved over stock. Throttle response as a whole will change.

On 87, around 40 hp and 60+ tq to the wheels. 93 octane will get you closer to 60 hp and 80-100 tq to the wheels.

Happy to help further if needed, just let me know.

Thank you,

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they let you know a cost? Mid $600 fish if I remember correctly.
$650.00 with free shipping (reg $679.99)
Ordered it today
5% discount if you use 5star as a coupon code
Ordered it today
Also eliminates the A.S.S. system if you want

Last edited:

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what exactly does this do. Asking because I really know nothing about tuning at all.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what exactly does this do. Asking because I really know nothing about tuning at all.

It tweaks or “tunes” the onboard software that controls most functionality of the vehicle. When Ford optimizes the system, they tend to play it a bit conservative and often take a one size fits all approach. Sometimes they limit performance or functionality between different editions of the same vehicle. For example, the Platinum Expedition has a bit more horsepower due to the tuning they have done for that model. You can achieve that on your Limited Expedition, for example, and probably more with a third-party tuner such as this. Many of these will provide options to tweak your Expedition to do better in certain ways. They often have a program to load that will give better performance with improved throttle response, more aggressive shifting or whatever. They often have a mode for better mileage or other settings to change. It’s usually best practice to restore your vehicle to factory default programming before you take it in for service...

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know! I’m interested. Would this benefit a platinum owner too? I would love dumping the auto stop/start.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used Livernois calibrations on my last 4 ECO Boost Ford vehicles
performance, throttle response & overall driveability is dramatically improved
Fuel mileage is always better in my experience
Ordered the 5 Star calibrator & software for the 2018 EXPY today
several options available
Plan to use the 91 & 93 octane calibrations
Not interested in the 87 octane version although it also improves things as well just not as much
Platinum engine is the same as the XLT & Limited with different ECU calibration
So yes it will benefit from the 5 star software
All my vehicles have passed state inspections with the recalibrations & have never changed back to stock when taking to the dealer for service

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know! I’m interested. Would this benefit a platinum owner too? I would love dumping the auto stop/start.
You would see improvement in HP and TRQ. Approx 40 HP and 60 TRQ. You would see better throttle response and gas milage as long as you are in the throttle all day long. The difference is very noticeable. The better the fuel octane, the more you gain from the tune. I had a tune on my GL550 and saw huge gains in HP and TRQ. Meaning, over 100 HP and over 150 TRQ gains. That was a TT V8 though... I hope to get a little bump in each category so that towing is slightly improved.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope to see at least 60WHP & 100WTQ with 93 octane calibration
That is about what I gained on my 2011 F150
My 2013 Taurus SHO with the PP will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds & quarter mile in 11.9 seconds
That is with completely stock vehicle & Livernois 93 octane calibration
Supposed to produce 475 Crank HP with that calibration
Normal driveline losses are typically 25% so If I gain 60WHP & 100WTQ that would equate to about 80chp & 135ctq
That is only 455hp though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360