Cam Phaser issue scaring me from buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X expat

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined.

For some time now I've been planning to upgrade our tow vehicle, a 2006 120K mi. Armada 9000lbs tow capacity with a new Expedition with HD tow package.

But now I'm reading here about this unresolved cam phaser issue. As you see, we keep our vehicles a long time.

We have no use for a p/u truck and want to stay with an SUV.

But with this issue, should I look elsewhere? Obviously it's the folks that have had this problem that chime in on the cam phaser threads. But how universal is it? Is it bound to happen at high millage, or even before?

Thanks for any input
Paul

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's millions of them that have never been touched. I wouldn't worry about them as long as you get a 2020 you will be past the new parts date.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
If you go on the Raptor forum there is a survey of engine failures (not just inclusive of cam phaser issues). It appears that a third of those folks have had issues. Keep in mind forums usually attract the extreme vehicle lovers/haters so you're just seeing a small sampling of the population.

I certainly feel sorry for those that do have this issue, but of myself and three neighborhood friends that have 2017+ Raptor, Navigator, F150, and Expeditions, none of us have had any 3.5L Ecoboost engine problems yet.

OP
OP
X

X expat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've really had my heart set.
You said after 2020 onward is ok, but that's different from what I've read so far. I just need to read up alot more.
But it's ok, I'm certainly going to wait out the current shortage. Maybe in 6 mo we'll pull the trigger. Plenty of time to read up.

Sent from my SM-G930L using Tapatalk

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined.

For some time now I've been planning to upgrade our tow vehicle, a 2006 120K mi. Armada 9000lbs tow capacity with a new Expedition with HD tow package.

But now I'm reading here about this unresolved cam phaser issue. As you see, we keep our vehicles a long time.

We have no use for a p/u truck and want to stay with an SUV.

But with this issue, should I look elsewhere? Obviously it's the folks that have had this problem that chime in on the cam phaser threads. But how universal is it? Is it bound to happen at high millage, or even before?

Thanks for any input
Paul

Even after almost three years of buying mine, there is no other product in the market that matches the capabilities/price. So I would purchase mine again.

I think the refreshed 2022 is around the corner. I would wait for that if in no rush to buy. Or at least wait and get a good deal on a 2021.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You said after 2020 onward is ok, but that's different from what I've read so far. I just need to read up alot more.
But it's ok, I'm certainly going to wait out the current shortage. Maybe in 6 mo we'll pull the trigger. Plenty of time to read up.

Looks like we are the same age. I made the decision to buy and couldn't be happier. The Expedition is an extravagance at some level but, I wanted what I wanted. Haven't allowed myself that feeling often enough truth be told. So, I say get what your heart wants and don't worry. I doubt you can buy any vehicle with absolute assurance it will be trouble free. I'm going to cover my choice by buying the extended warranty from one of the Ford dealers who are competitive in their pricing. Wasn't in the plan originally but it is now. Just makes sense once you start realizing the costs of just the head and tail lights let alone anything else! Oh, and if the budget allows, leave some money for sway bars! LOL

OP
OP
X

X expat

Reaction score
Great to hear your encouraging words!
A 3.5l with more torque and power than my 5.6 V8! We just got back from towing our 21ft 5500lb trailer up out of Phoenix to Williams near the Grand Canyon. Our mpg was a whopping 7!
@alwaysthinking: your right about other vehicles having their own issues. For several years, ours included, the Armada had a problem with the barrier between the tranny coolant and engine coolant breaking down and taking out the xmission.
I changed ours out and for good measure added a second external xmission cooler.

I'm hoping that the current shortage of Expeditions will turn into a glut in a few months ;-)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Mid year 2019 they updated the cam phasers, I forget the cut off date, so get a 2020 or newer and the phasers are updated.....

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe though that mine was after the cutoff (manufactured 06/19) and still had a replacement done. So I'm still not sure if the new design is any better.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe though that mine was after the cutoff (manufactured 06/19) and still had a replacement done. So I'm still not sure if the new design is any better.

That engine was probably built 6 months to a year prior to going in the vehicle, thats why I say buy a 2020.