Camper weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbbco

Reaction score
I have a 2017 with the heavy-duty tow package. We’re looking into buying a camper, and I’d like some advice on the maximum weight we should consider. We live in the mountains, so we’d need to tow it over some high mountain passes.

OP
OP
C

cbbco

Reaction score
We’ll have a family of four along with a week’s worth of camping supplies with us. Can we actually tow up to the max tow weight? I’ve heard that you should only tow up to 80% of the max weight.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cbbco, many folks will tell you to consider fully loaded weight and trailer length. Everybody will have their own opinion and likely suggest you're a full of you do differently.

That being all said, I was looking at around 7450#s fully loaded and about 32'. Originally, I wanted to keep things under 30',but I was getting caught up on the +1s.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll have a family of four along with a week’s worth of camping supplies with us. Can we actually tow up to the max tow weight? I’ve heard that you should only tow up to 80% of the max weight.

You have to subtract the weight of the vehicle load (people, supplies etc.) from the max tow capacity to arrive at the max weight you can pull.

JohnnyFort

Reaction score
I tow a 31 feet overall travel trailer with a ready to camp weight of 6500lbs. Our 17 Max ( EL) tow it better than the 2016 F150 I traded in.

I Haven't use the DOT scale yet but Im pretty sure I'm near the limit of the rear axle.

I wouldn't tow a 9000lbs trailer with it...

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rule is: Don't tow more than the truck is rated for. The other rule is: Don't tow more than you're comfortable pulling.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for something with a dry weight rating between 5 and 6k pounds and you will be fine. That seems to be the sweet spot for a half ton based vehicle. You can then add 1k pounds of cargo and still be in the safe zone. Going by gross weight can be all over the chart since its based on whatever axles are under the trailer, and sometimes they are over or undersized which affects your trailer cargo capacity. For example my 25ft (29ft bumper to tongue) has a dry weight of 5k pounds but a ccc of only 950! Similiar sized campers might have the same dry weight but bigger axles and thus a ccc more in the 2k pound range.