Can´t change the radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor On

Reaction score
The local car stereo expert told me you can´t change the radio on a 2015 Expedition. I looked at the Crutchfield website and called Crutchfield. They told me that the factory stereo includes climate control tech, and there is no space, so it is not possible to upgrade the stereo with anything other than the factory radio. This seems really bizzare. I have a fabulous Alpine stereo I put in the 2009 Expedition-it is also part of the back up camera system. Why on earth would Ford prevent customers from upgrading the stereo? Is this really true?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take a look at these Android based units.

Phoenix Android Head Units

@Motor On , The Phoenix based units are hit or miss. Make sure to read some third party reviews, and watch some of the YouTube videos on them. Not all of their models are created equal. I have assisted with installing a few of them in different Fords over the past few years.

There are several companies that will do Sync 2 - Sync 3 kits that will fit your 2015. That will give you wired CarPlay with a Hub replacement(Sometimes part of the kit). These kits are not cheap.

Many people when they upgrade sound in modern fords leave the head unit alone, and mess with the amps, and speakers, and use audio controllers outside of Sync to tune them appropriately.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many people when they upgrade sound in modern fords leave the head unit alone, and mess with the amps, and speakers, and use audio controllers outside of Sync to tune them appropriately.
This! no good reason to mess with the head unit, spend the money on speakers/amp/DSP

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at iDatalink and see what they say.

Ford told me I couldn't change the stereo in my 2013, and I did it. Fairly easy to I might add.

Ramv36

Reaction score
Take a look at these Android based units.

Phoenix Android Head Units

Took a look here, but I am confusion...why no models at all for 2010 Expedition? Is there something special going on there?
I've wanted to upgrade my whole setup in my 2010 for a while but first it was chip shortage, then trying to find a solution where I could keep Sync, steering wheel controls, AND the rear seat controls.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if your asking me, I don't have the climate control option. Mine is a 2013. But, the idatalink website would let you know what options your aftermarket radio would have available. .
My Kenwood has the capability for temp controls with the idatalin/maestro but my 2013 does not have that option.
Check them out and create an account to pick your radio etc...

Last edited:

cilynx

Reaction score
For anyone who stumbles on this old thread while searching around -- I swapped a large touchscreen from KSPIV (seems to be the same manufacturer as Phoenix mentioned above) into my 2015 about a month ago and it looks like it goes there. Climate control works a it should, OOTB. I'm tracking getting everything dialed in the way I want in a little GitHub repo here: https://github.com/cilynx/expedition/tree/main/Infotainment
1688428650130.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65