Can anyone find this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Thanks guys for pointing out the true part number, hopefully will help someone in the future. Makes sense that that was just the casting number.

Whats odd is my wifes 08 Explorer (4.6) has the short dipstick that you check from underneath the car. My 04 & 09 Expeditions both have old school dipsticks, as did my 2000 Expedition which I no longer have. The 2000 had the 4.6, the others are 5.4's but I don't think that matters

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats odd is my wifes 08 Explorer (4.6) has the short dipstick that you check from underneath the car. My 04 & 09 Expeditions both have old school dipsticks, as did my 2000 Expedition which I no longer have. The 2000 had the 4.6, the others are 5.4's but I don't think that matters

Is your 09 an SSV? The only way it has a real dipstick is if someone added it aftermarket, no 6R80 ever came with one.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
That's the engine oil dipstick.
Boy is my face red, you're absolutely correct. I was thinking of my 04.
I know on the wifes 08 Explorer it has the short one underneath. To check it needs to be at operating temperature & running. Fairly easy to access, however it is right next to the hot exhaust. A catch 22 situation.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy is my face red, you're absolutely correct. I was thinking of my 04.
I know on the wifes 08 Explorer it has the short one underneath. To check it needs to be at operating temperature & running. Fairly easy to access, however it is right next to the hot exhaust. A catch 22 situation.

Wasn’t bad checking it since it’s winter. I pulled in after driving back from work, truck was hot, i then let it sit for 15 minutes so the cat would cool off as it does quick when it’s freezing. I then started it while the tranny fluid and engine still had heat and checked it quickly before that converter heated back up. I supplied the Mercon SP and filter for the change so the right stuff got used. It appears to be a bit low, but no leaks so when the new dipstick gets here tomorow I’m going to top it off with my tranfer pump. I read it can look full then after driving air pockets will work out and it can end up low.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe this is the part number that you're seeking
6L2Z-7A010-C you can even find it on Amazon, Ebay etc
Quick Ford Part number lesson. All parts have a prefix, then a dash, then a base part number, dash and a suffix. Sometimes the dahes are dropped.

The base number is the same for all versions of that part on all vehicles, even is they do NOT interchange. (12A650 is the base number for all PCMs.) The prefix, has encoded in it the year the part was release and the vehicle it was released on. The suffix, deals with various versions and suppliers.

I am being vague because I do not remember all of the specifics, after being retired for 11 years.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EE96FADD-5488-4D8A-8F7F-A161020709B6.jpeg
9204F750-BDA7-408D-BA16-5BCD961A3AA6.jpeg
Looks slightly different and this one is connected to the cap where as the old one was seperate, praying it fits

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The box says plug, not dipstick. May that be reason, you had a hard time finding one?

Freightshaker

Reaction score
View attachment 23702
View attachment 23703
Looks slightly different and this one is connected to the cap where as the old one was seperate, praying it fits
Looks like a pregnancy test for a aluminum wheel.
Seriously though, a lot of times manufacturers make updates and a new parts look slightly different than the original. I worked for a Ford dealer when I was a kid, Ford part numbers are actually very logical. For example E7SZ-16612-B
E was basic decade E=80's 7 was basic year of revision, SZ was Thunderbird (ZZ was Mustang, LY Lincoln...) next grouping was actual part, in this case, a hood. The last was some designation. In this example B was for the Turbo Coupe which had functional hood scoops, the regular Birds ended in an A. Fenders were 16005 or 16006 odd was left I believe, ends in a B then it had the optional cornering lights. Well that's what I remember from when I was just a wee lad.

Last edited: