Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoonaT

Reaction score
So, I am a new Ford owner of about 4 months and the other day my Expedition overheated. Ok, not a problem found the leak fixed that topped off fluids and now the dang thing won't start at all. I have charged the battery and as soon as I go to turn it over the battery dies. There is no clicking, literally nothing. Now, with that said, after it overheated I had let it sit for a few hours and I went to start it to move it to a safer spot to be able to work on it and there was a nasty screechy, clicking sound and then nothing. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I don't think it is the alternator because before it never bogged down or showed any indication of the alternator going out, I also never had any issues with the starter. I replaced the battery 3 months ago and haven't had any issues except for the front windows not working since then. I don't think the two are linked, but at this point who knows. Has anyone else had any issues like this with there vehicle?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
KEY OFF
See if you can get the correct size socket & breaker bar to turn the engine over by hand at the crankshaft bolt at the front of the engine.
Pulling the plugs will make it easier.
Engine may have seized or broke internally depending on how hot it got for too long if you cannot turn it over

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
By now you've probably found out if you have an internal engine problem, which we all hope you don't.

Are you sure the battery's still charged? Try honking the horn, turning on the headlights. If either doesn't work, you may need an alternator or a battery cable. If the battery's good, you have bigger problems.

OP
OP
N

NoonaT

Reaction score
Battery dies as soon as I go to to turn it over. I've unhooked the battery to have it tested l, but the parts store is closed right now. I truly hope there's no engine damage because I love my expedition.

Spaznaut

Reaction score
A meter would help a lot. You could have a bad cable or ground. Bad connection at the battery. If it loses power and your lights and all go out when you go to start it then probably the battery connection is bad. Probably just a coincident it happened after the overheating. Even if the motor was locked up it wouldn't drain the battery.