Can the governor been taken off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 03-06 Models will only get to 100. Dont know about the 07 models, nor about the 97-02 models. As a side note, I constantly do 90+when taking long trips and it doesnt feel any different than going 60 or 70. Of course the difference comes when something in front of you stops/pops out suddenly. :/

wittom

Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
....I constantly do 90+when taking long trips and it doesnt feel any different than going 60 or 70. Of course the difference comes when something in front of you stops/pops out suddenly. :/

My '06 feels very stabil at 85-90. I think that the vehicle can handel the speeds fine, it's the tire rating that we need to pay attention to. I like to go fast like may out there but it is dangerous and is best done on a track. So you know, I'm being a hypocrite saying that.

I haven't done it on the Expy yet but the '98 F150, and '04 Lightning had the limiter removed via Superchips. The '98 had shut down at 95mph. I couldn't have that. I eventually put V rated tires and bolted a Magnacharger to the top of the 4.6. It could then exceede 95mph. ;) It really wasn't necessary to remove the limiter on the Lightning. There isn't enough room around here to reach it safely. My tuner just does it as part of the tuning.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by wittom
My '06 feels very stabil at 85-90. I think that the vehicle can handel the speeds fine, it's the tire rating that we need to pay attention to. I like to go fast like may out there but it is dangerous and is best done on a track. So you know, I'm being a hypocrite saying that.

I haven't done it on the Expy yet but the '98 F150, and '04 Lightning had the limiter removed via Superchips. The '98 had shut down at 95mph. I couldn't have that. I eventually put V rated tires and bolted a Magnacharger to the top of the 4.6. It could then exceede 95mph. ;) It really wasn't necessary to remove the limiter on the Lightning. There isn't enough room around here to reach it safely. My tuner just does it as part of the tuning.

What's the lowest speed rating a tire can have? And what is the speed? Some where I read 93 and another place, 113.
--------------------------------------------------
Just checked my tires and they say on them 113 S, so Im guessing that's their top speed. They're Firestone Destination LE's. Pretty good tires :) Just might write a review about them :)

BTW, wittom, Sniper tuning lets you "chip" 2 Ford cars for basically the price of one.

Last edited:

wittom

Reaction score
Well, I'm no expert but this is where I got my information from:

TireRack.com

My '98 F150 came with T rated tires. With the speed limiter in place the truck couldn't reach the 118mph maximum rated speed. Eliminating the limiter, or raising the limited speed allows the vehicel to exceede the maximum rating of the tire. I believe that the compounds can break apart if this is done, which I would guess would result in catostrophic failure.

I think that people rarely think about the speed rating of their tires. If we are going to drive at excessive speeds I think it's something we should be thinking about.