Can you tell if Expy has tow package based off VIN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAVID KJACK

Reaction score
So Im looking at 16’ and 17’ years with the same issue, trying to find the “Max Tow Option” or “HD Tow Package” is like looking for a unicorn. So Im looking for Trailer Back Up assist knob or an extra oil cooler behind the radiator? Can someone please post a pic of this extra oil cooler? Not sure about the 536 code on door sticker? There are many numbers, where on the sticker?

DAVID KJACK

Reaction score
For 2017 the "Class IV trailer tow receiver with 4-pin connector" is standard on the XLT. The "Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package" is standard on the Limited, King Ranch, and Platinum and it will have 4-pin and 7-pin connectors. No 7-pin connector means no HD trailer tow package.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

James Bradley

Reaction score
I myself have an 05 Expy EB that if I remember correctly when I purchased was told it has the HD towing package. However I looked at the wiring connector and it has only 4 pins. Also when I look in the engine compartment I see the radiator but in front of it there is the condensing cooler for the ac and another miniature radiator looking device. I'm guessing one of those devices is the transmission cooler. Which would indicate HD towing. How can I find out for definite that I have HD towing? I could crawl under the vehicle and follow the tubing but right now it's rather muddy outside. BTW I looked on my door placard and noticed no "536" code.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I myself have an 05 Expy EB that if I remember correctly when I purchased was told it has the HD towing package. However I looked at the wiring connector and it has only 4 pins. Also when I look in the engine compartment I see the radiator but in front of it there is the condensing cooler for the ac and another miniature radiator looking device. I'm guessing one of those devices is the transmission cooler. Which would indicate HD towing. How can I find out for definite that I have HD towing? I could crawl under the vehicle and follow the tubing but right now it's rather muddy outside. BTW I looked on my door placard and noticed no "536" code.

Search for the option guide for your model year. Also, the HD Tow equipped vehicles usually have 3.73 gearing, which shows up in the yellow sticker on the door jamb. But I forget the code.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The miniature radiator device is probably the power steering cooler.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Get me the last 8 digits of the vin and I can tell you :)