Can you tell if Expy has tow package based off VIN?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I tell if it has the factory tow package based off VIN?

Capt, try an online service called CompNine (www.compnine.com). If your VIN is available in their database, the four-page report will provide a code and associated description of every option that was installed on your vehicle when it left the assembly line. There is a disclaimer on their webpage that says they only have VIN data for Fords up to 2012, but I was able to insert my 2013’s VIN and it worked fine. Anyway, you can enter your VIN at their homepage to see first if they have a report for your Expy; if they do, it costs $5 for five VIN checks. It’s legit – it worked for me last Oct, and answered/confirmed a lot of option questions before I purchased the vehicle. Worth the five bucks.

The report I purchased for my VIN showed that my Expy came with the heavy duty trailer towing pkg, trailer sway control, and a heavy duty aux trans oil cooler.

Associated point: If the vehicle still has a window sticker, all the info you're looking for will be there too.

obonaven

Reaction score
Don't rely on the plug. I don't have a tow package but I have the 7 pin/4 pin plug. I added it after I purchased it. But if you only have a 4 pin plug I'd say it does not have a HD tow package.

OP
OP
C

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I test drove a 2017 limited over the weekend. It was $26k and had like 67k miles. It had all the options, but I don't think it handled nearly as nice as the 2003 I have. IDK how to describe it exactly. On the scale between truck and car it handled more car-like? Maybe it's just because I have great tires. Not to offend anyone! Maybe the 2018 would handle differently. I might just hold off. My Expedition is still going strong.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a killer deal on that 2017 limited!

On a side note my Uncles 2017 F150 he purchased used, had the factory trans cooler. But not hitch or connector at all!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Elocwem

Reaction score
While shopping for my used '17 XLT, I too wanted to be sure it had the HD tow package.

If there is a factory brake controller on the dash, the HD is there. You can verify with the 7pin & trans cooler.
But as far as the XLT-- you only get the brake controller if the HD package was installed.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All good info. I'm trying to decide if I should buy this year or next. My budget is around $25-$30k. My 2003 is still running well with 157k. I drive it most days to work. Right now the 2017's are in budget. If I wait 6 months to a year the 2018's will come down. The 2018's look to have a slightly better engine specs and the 10-speed transmission. My trailer is a Keystone Springdale 270le. It's almost 33ft long. I would think the 10-speed transmission would do better towing. Sometimes my 5.4 is hunting for gears at expressway speeds.

I also have a 2003 5.4 pulling my Keystone outback 293UBH, which has a GVWR of 7600, and would say I am around 7000. How does your 03 do? I feel like mine doesn't have enough oomph/power. It handles great with my Equalizer hitch and prodigy Brake controller, but feels under powered. Maybe I don't push it hard enough? Your thoughts?

OP
OP
C

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2003 5.4 pulling my Keystone outback 293UBH, which has a GVWR of 7600, and would say I am around 7000. How does your 03 do? I feel like mine doesn't have enough oomph/power. It handles great with my Equalizer hitch and prodigy Brake controller, but feels under powered. Maybe I don't push it hard enough? Your thoughts?

Hey John. You PM'ed me last December. I don't think the 5.4 lacks power necessarily. It does take a bit for the transmission to get dialed in. I find with overdrive on, it does bog down on hills with this much weight. I just turn it on and off depending on the hills. If I find it shifting a lot like on a long uphill road, I just keep it off for a while. Once I get over 62 MPH it doesn't quite bog down as much and I leave OD on. If you think your truck is not performing well, it be something mechanical like plugged cats. I replaced my entire exhaust a couple years ago.

Jeff Taylor

Reaction score
Hey John. You PM'ed me last December. I don't think the 5.4 lacks power necessarily. It does take a bit for the transmission to get dialed in. I find with overdrive on, it does bog down on hills with this much weight. I just turn it on and off depending on the hills. If I find it shifting a lot like on a long uphill road, I just keep it off for a while. Once I get over 62 MPH it doesn't quite bog down as much and I leave OD on. If you think your truck is not performing well, it be something mechanical like plugged cats. I replaced my entire exhaust a couple years ago.

CaptOchs and johnboneske, how many miles do you have on your 03's? I have an '04 Eddie Bauer with 220,000 miles. Original engine, rebuilt transmission. I have the HD towing package. I've been towing a pop up for years and also a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I've never had any trouble and in most cases, my Expy rolls along like the trailer isn't even there.

I'm considering a new camper. It's 33' and has a 7,800 GVWR. According to everything I'm reading mathematically I shouldn't have any trouble, but it's a big jump in weight, so I'm nervous. What are your thoughts? Both of you seem to be hauling similar sized trailers. I'd love your feedback.

OP
OP
C

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CaptOchs and johnboneske, how many miles do you have on your 03's? I have an '04 Eddie Bauer with 220,000 miles. Original engine, rebuilt transmission. I have the HD towing package. I've been towing a pop up for years and also a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I've never had any trouble and in most cases, my Expy rolls along like the trailer isn't even there.

I'm considering a new camper. It's 33' and has a 7,800 GVWR. According to everything I'm reading mathematically I shouldn't have any trouble, but it's a big jump in weight, so I'm nervous. What are your thoughts? Both of you seem to be hauling similar sized trailers. I'd love your feedback.

Whoa. A popup to a 33 ft'er? Nice. On paper your truck tows 8600-8900 lbs. It will tow that camper, but realistically you will be limited. Because of its age/mileage towing close to weight limit will beat the truck up. You also would need to limit trips to a reasonable distance. I stayed within 200 miles. I avoided crazy hills and didn't push it over 65 MPH. You also need a capable WD kit. Prepare to spend an extra $500 on a good one at the RV dealer. As a good rule of thumb size the trailer to 70% of your tow capacity. So for you that equates to around 6200 lbs. You can tow more, but you have to stick to limits and get creative. We took two cars. I packed my wife's minivan full of stuff so I wouldn't have put as much in the trailer.

The 03 Exp I had had 160k on it with original engine/transmission. My trailer is 2018 Springdale 270LE that weighs 7000lbs. The truck was pretty rusty due to WNY salt. I got by towing the Springdale, but I did have more repairs. I also realized the chance of a breakdown is higher and no one in my family has anything that could tow my camper home. For that reason I decided to replace it. Last month I bought a RAM 1500 with a 5.7 HEMI. It was a world of difference. I have a 10,000 lb tow capacity which puts my trailer at 70%. If I kept my old 5000 lb Keystone Hornet camper, I might still have my Expedition.

Bottom line: your Exp will tow that camper in short term, but I'd start saving for the next truck. I gave my Exp to my brother in law. He said he replaced the fuel filter and the engine seems to have more power and runs smoother.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2004.pdf