Can't figure out what shocks I have. 2017 el max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCBIII

Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL with the hd tow package. The window sticker doesnt make mention of any special suspension options load leveling or otherwise. Did the HD package automatically come with the load level or just basic?

If it is just basic...what should i put back there. I want an upgrade. And i also want the front to sit a Little higher. Should i just go with the 5100s and the 1" lift in the front?

Is ccd upgrade possible or worth doing?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No load leveling. CCD came with 22" wheels. If you want to adjust ride height, the 5100s are probably the easiest option. Hope the deer didn't cause too much damage!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 EL with the hd tow package. The window sticker doesnt make mention of any special suspension options load leveling or otherwise. Did the HD package automatically come with the load level or just basic?

If it is just basic...what should i put back there. I want an upgrade. And i also want the front to sit a Little higher. Should i just go with the 5100s and the 1" lift in the front?

Is ccd upgrade possible or worth doing?

The HD tow package in 2017 did not include the Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks. That was a separate option.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also...i just hit a deer. Fml. Lol
I don't mean to laugh but the timing is just amusing. Hope you, the truck, and any passengers are ok.

Unlikely worth the cost and complexity of retrofitting Nivomats. I tow with my EL and opted for Bilstein 5100 shocks and some custom rear coils from https://coilsprings.com/

For me the results are just right -- good dampening, tows great, and rides firm but not unpleasant when empty. Cost is reasonable too.

Nitro_Alltrac

Reaction score
I had a Suburban with the Nivomats and the springs were different from what came with non-Nivomats. I changed them out when I couldn't find any at decent price and used Z71 springs and shocks. Not sure if the Expeditions are set up the same with lighter springs or not. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No reason you can't add them im guessing?

I’m not sure.

The issue has been discussed on this forum previously - but I don’t recall the resolution (or have a link).

I believe some have said the rear springs are different with the Nivomat shocks.

Jeff Morris

Reaction score
I have a 17 EL with tow haul and the Nivomats. Would not go this way again. Per the owner's manual they require you to drive around for 1 1/2 to 2 miles between 20-25mph before attaching your weight distribution hitch so they shocks can adjust. Makes sense but I pull a travel trailer and as you might suspect already it is a real pain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett