Castrol edge 5w-20 Full synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am starting to use this oil, it is without Titanium..
Castrol edge extended performance.
I use in my 2012 Expy, I noticed better drivability and Torque,
However I am really afraid about the viscosity being low so that it causes the car to have such Torque free extra.

Anyone having an idea or issue with this oil??

Appreciate your input

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I have a 2007 year model Eddie Bauer EL & just switched to Castrol Edge WITH "Fluid Titanium Technology". Haven't put 2,000 miles on it yet since changing over. Just tripped 102,000 miles. I had used Mobile One Full Synthetic since about 2008 and prior to that was using Ford Semi-Synthetic.

In response to your questions no, I don't really notice any difference in drivability/torque, etc. One thing I do not see since changing brands is the occasional "cloud" of blueish smoke on start-up after not running for a couple days. It didn't/doesn't do it very often but hasn't done it at all since the change. Whether it's the different oil or not I couldn't say.

The 5W-20 oil weight/viscosity is what Ford says to use so that's what I use. The oil pressure has remained the same throughout the years & miles...at least according to the electric gauge in the instrument cluster.

Since getting my drivers license 36 years ago Castrol is the ONLY motor oil I ever used in my vehicles until purchasing my expy new. Funny, I never considered that fact until my reply to your post. I would also like to hear from other expy owners who use Castrol Edge motor oil.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TORNIT07;213113 The 5W-20 oil weight/viscosity is what Ford says to use so that's what I use. The oil pressure has remained the same throughout the years & miles...at least according to the electric gauge in the instrument cluster. [/QUOTE said:
FYI The oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster does not give oil pressure it is a gauge that simply tell that you have oil pressure and should always read in the middle The oil pressure sensor is just like a light switch either its on or off.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think this is what i got for my latest oil change, car didn't feel much different from my previous change with mobil 5w20

TORNIT07

Reaction score
FYI The oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster does not give oil pressure it is a gauge that simply tell that you have oil pressure and should always read in the middle The oil pressure sensor is just like a light switch either its on or off.

I see. So, basically no better or worse than the "idiot" light. Seems it was different back in the day. I drove several vehicles where the electric gauge would change with motor RPM as well as temperature, the latter to a lesser degree once operating temperature was achieved. On cold start-up, especially during winter months the electric gauge would shoot up more than 3/4 to the "H" high side. As the motor/oil heated up the needle would slowly edge back down to the "L" low side. I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on several of my autos over the years.

The mechanical gauge always indicated what the electric gauge did, just with numbers/PSI for a more accurate picture of motor OP. On a couple early vehicles I owned the electric gauge indicated very low OP at idle. After installing a mechanical OPG I discovered idle pressure was indeed quite low. As I recall one was something like 8 to 10 PSI and another 12 to 14 PSI. At cruising speed the pressure would be around 25 to 35 PSI.

I had a 1980 Ford Mustang around 1987. The OEM oil pressure gauge in the cluster had 'L" and "H" & between both the word "NORMAL". I had rebuilt the motor shortly after purchasing the vehicle. After I rebuilt the motor the oil pressure never fell below 3/4 in the "NORMAL" range but prior to rebuilding (installed a reman crank with new bearings, new cam shaft & bushings, etc) the OP barely made it into the "NORMAL" range.

So what you're saying is the modern electric/factory gauges are not like past gauges. The gauge in my expy goes further than half way. It goes nearly, but not quite 3/4 to the high side but based on you're statement that means nothing regarding actual OP. If that's the case I don't care for the current set up. In reality though, I don't trust any electric oil sending unit like I do a mechanical unit.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TORNIT07

The only thing that the oil pressure sensor does on your expy is to tell you it either has pressure or it doesn't It is not a pressure transducer.

I'll try and post a print of the circuit for your 2007 so you can see how it operates

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Pressure Switch 2007 Expedition

This is typical of the switch for the Expeditions

Attachments

• 2007 Oil Pressure Switch.jpg
    2007 Oil Pressure Switch.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 199

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see. So, basically no better or worse than the "idiot" light. Seems it was different back in the day. I drove several vehicles where the electric gauge would change with motor RPM as well as temperature, the latter to a lesser degree once operating temperature was achieved. On cold start-up, especially during winter months the electric gauge would shoot up more than 3/4 to the "H" high side. As the motor/oil heated up the needle would slowly edge back down to the "L" low side. I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on several of my autos over the years.

My old Nissan used to have a real one, and the model year after mine they replaced it with a dummy gauge. Apparently the dealers were getting people coming in and complaining about the gauge moving up and down. Nissan thought it was easier to just give them a dummy gauge instead of the dealer trying to explain to every moron how the gauge was supposed to work.

I can't say I really blame them, although I wish all my vehicles came with a real one.

As to the original post, your oil isn't changing anything about your engines performance. It's all in your head.

OP
OP
T

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 year model Eddie Bauer EL & just switched to Castrol Edge WITH "Fluid Titanium Technology". Haven't put 2,000 miles on it yet since changing over. Just tripped 102,000 miles. I had used Mobile One Full Synthetic since about 2008 and prior to that was using Ford Semi-Synthetic.

In response to your questions no, I don't really notice any difference in drivability/torque, etc. One thing I do not see since changing brands is the occasional "cloud" of blueish smoke on start-up after not running for a couple days. It didn't/doesn't do it very often but hasn't done it at all since the change. Whether it's the different oil or not I couldn't say.

The 5W-20 oil weight/viscosity is what Ford says to use so that's what I use. The oil pressure has remained the same throughout the years & miles...at least according to the electric gauge in the instrument cluster.

Since getting my drivers license 36 years ago Castrol is the ONLY motor oil I ever used in my vehicles until purchasing my expy new. Funny, I never considered that fact until my reply to your post. I would also like to hear from other expy owners who use Castrol Edge motor oil.

Thank you for the great response,
Castrol recommends Without Titanium as per their official website..
However, I was extremely pushing on the throttle, I notice only when stopping a burning smell and a smoke out of the hood.. little smoke with smell.. this I don't notice when using castrol magnatec 5w-30..

I am afraid that oil may hurt my engine

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk