340,000 miles, Change oil to 5W-30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
2007 EL 2WD with 340,000+ miles. Did some looking around the forum about possibility going from 5W-20 to 5W-30, but wanted to get your opinions for my specific vehicle with the amount of miles the engine has.

I have used the 5W-20 ever since I got the vehicle with 90,000 miles. Would take it to Jiffy Lube for oil changes, but switched to Mobil 1 5W-20 Extended Performance Advanced Full Synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter a couple years ago when I started changing my own oil and filter.

Few questions:
• Engine runs great, should I go from 5W-20 to 5W-30? I do live in Virginia (near DC), if climate makes a difference.
• With almost 350,000 miles, should I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance oil and filter, or another Mobil 1 “tier”/company?
• How often should I change my oil? Mobil 1 says up to 15,000 miles of protection, but that seems infrequent.

Also, engine does burn oil, but not significantly.

Any other info/recommendations are highly appreciated. Thanks.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2007 EL 2WD with 340,000+ miles. Did some looking around the forum about possibility going from 5W-20 to 5W-30, but wanted to get your opinions for my specific vehicle with the amount of miles the engine has.

I have used the 5W-20 ever since I got the vehicle with 90,000 miles. Would take it to Jiffy Lube for oil changes, but switched to Mobil 1 5W-20 Extended Performance Advanced Full Synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter a couple years ago when I started changing my own oil and filter.

Few questions:
• Engine runs great, should I go from 5W-20 to 5W-30? I do live in Virginia (near DC), if climate makes a difference.
• With almost 350,000 miles, should I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance oil and filter, or another Mobil 1 “tier”/company?
• How often should I change my oil? Mobil 1 says up to 15,000 miles of protection, but that seems infrequent.

Would not recommend changing fluid type on that worn in of an engine

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Few questions:

I wouldn't do anything different than you're doing now.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have changed to 5w-30 a long time ago and if any use or burning a High Mileage 5w-30.

Some "wear" to an engine is the prime reason to change to a slightly heavier weight.

Much better than putting additives and oil thickeners and honeys like Lucas and STP.

I do like Restore Engine Additive and it is fairly thin like less than a straight 30 wt.

mcloven

Reaction score
i went to 5-30 mobil 1 a couple of oil changes ago and it seems to be a bit quieter. only 170k miles. im not going back to 5-20

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Don't change the type of oil you use...it has been successful at helping your engine to last, why change it? Don't overthink it...a little bit of Lucas will stop the burning, likely getting past the rings.

jeff
Bought a quart of Lucas, should I add the whole bottle?