Catalytic Converter Replacement Help Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonstp

Reaction score
Hey....I just took my 03 Expedition in to a mechanic who said my catalytic converters (2) need to be replaced.....parts must come from Ford and my cost is $3000......does this sound right?

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as far as i know that dont have to be from factory but cant be hi flow cats in CA. But cats from dealer are expensive. Look for 50 state legal cats or CARB legal.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had mine replaced on my '03 not too long ago. Parts and labor were about $1000 I think. Being in Nazifornia you may need genuine Ford parts to satisfy emissions. But I'm not sure. I know mine were direct bolt on replacements though. So for California that may be right but I'm not sure.

Victor

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, mine were 49 state legal. Of course California being the one state not legal.

Victor

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy moly, 3 grand... I would just move states haha. Come to MN, you can just cut them out and no one cares!

Ok well depending on your muffler situation your neighbors might care, but other than that...

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning u can get your cats from part geak time cost me far less than factory . I think they were all fifty state leagel . For the right side was 280.00 left side 360 .00 then I had some one to install them . This was on my 2000 4.6 . cence then I installed a 5.4 .

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$3000 is getting *****. You can buy carb legal cats. Most techs just look under the truck to see that it has the right amount of cats. They don't usually car what brand etc etc. When I was doing smogs I just looked to make sure it had cats. Have Pancho at a muffler shop put some in for you

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whew, one thing I can finally be glad for living up here in Canuck-land.

Sure, our taxes are insane, and we are f00ked as far as personal liberties, but no smog testing or inspections (at least in my Province).

I could throw a 27L v12 Merlin on straight pipes in the truck (would be absolute ass for low end torque, but would be unbelievable on the high end...), and all they could snag me on is noise bylaws. :evillol:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Whew, one thing I can finally be glad for living up here in Canuck-land.

Sure, our taxes are insane, and we are f00ked as far as personal liberties, but no smog testing or inspections (at least in my Province).

I could throw a 27L v12 Merlin on straight pipes in the truck (would be absolute ass for low end torque, but would be unbelievable on the high end...), and all they could snag me on is noise bylaws. :evillol:

I would like to see you fit that under the hood !!

:Big Laugh: