Catch can mod on Ecoboost still necessary on 2018 models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer can void your warranty for whatever reason they want. Will it void it? It shouldn’t. But if you have a complete motor failure you bet Ford will use it against you if they want

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
The dealer can void your warranty for whatever reason they want. Will it void it? It shouldn’t. But if you have a complete motor failure you bet Ford will use it against you if they want
Oh yeah, and it’s probably different for every dealer too. Most times they can’t deny a warranty claim unless there is hard evidence that a mod caused the malfunction. But like you said, they can do what they want. Luckily, my dealer was impressed with the steps ive taken to keep mine clean and said it won’t be an issue

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and it’s probably different for every dealer too. Most times they can’t deny a warranty claim unless there is hard evidence that a mod caused the malfunction. But like you said, they can do what they want. Luckily, my dealer was impressed with the steps ive taken to keep mine clean and said it won’t be an issue
They can plug in a laptop and look at detailed engineering data. I don't see any problems with normal powertrain warranty issues, with any manufacture. The catch can however, taps into the emission system. That is covered under a separate warranty. Say, you pull into dealer with a "check engine". I can see some service advisor, saying "its not covered, because you messed with it."

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
So JLT for the passenger side, what about for the drivers side?
Driver side is the clean side. Check your MAP sensors. I’ll bet the ones on the intake tubing and throttle body are both white. One on Intake manifold will be black and gunked up and covered in oil. I cleaned the one on the intake the day I put the jlt passenger side can in and it’s as clean as it was that day now after almost 5000 miles. Would a driver side can hurt? No but it’s not as necessary as a passenger side can. I have no visible oil build up anywhere in intake tubing. And from my research, the passenger side is known to be the problem child with oil blow by into the intake manifold and all over the valves. My results have shown the can is doing its job

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn’t sure and as I looked there appears to be a sensor on the drivers side hose that doesn’t appear, as far as I can tell, on the hoses from 2017 and earlier Ecoboost motors. I’ll stick to passenger side.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI - the JLT Performance passenger side oil catch can for 2018 F150 will not fit the 2018 Expy. I know because I tried. The Expedition has electronics mounted where the F150 doesn’t and the Expy has a much thicker engine cover so the can has no where to be effectively mounted where the reservoir can be removed for emptying. I was very happy with the quality and customer service. JLT did advise that they would be work8ng on a 2018 Expedition catch can system plug and play but needed to get their hands on one to test fit hoses and figure out where to attach the can. Just thought I’d let anyone interested in doing this know that the F150 can does not translate to the Expy. I sent it back and hopefully won’t have to wait too long for a JLT can.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
They have requests out at their shop for 2018 Ex’s test vehicles. No ones been up there yet that I have seen or heard of, I live 15 minutes from them

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading once the ford dealer denied a guys warranty claim on a blown motor and blamed his aftermarket rims and larger tires, they can deny anything. They claimed the odometer was slightly incorrect due to the alterations and could not verify mileage so they would not cover the motor.