CEL only when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmeurer

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my 01 for 3 months now and have some questions. I have already learned a lot just from lurking, but I have a couple of things that I haven't been able to find an answer for yet. First, I get a CEL but only twice while towing my boat. The boat is only 5k lbs so it should be an easy pull for this truck. I went to Auto Zone to have them read the code and the plug is dead. They said it was probably a blown fuse, sure enough the cig lighter was dead too. I put in a new fuse but it blows right away so I can't read the code. Is it possible to just disconnect the cig lighter and what are your thoughts as to why it would throw a cel just when towing. My rear fan controls are also not working ( from both front and rear controls) and doesn't seem to be a fuse. Other than that we love the truck so far. Thanks for all the great posts, sites like this are great for those of us who cringe at the thought of going to a dealer, or at least going uninformed!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check and make sure there hasn't been any change that fell into the lighter socket.... You'll have to find the short unless it is just the lighter socket itself that is bad....

I am curious to see what the code is..... it could be a misfire relating to a tune-up issue that only rears its ugly head when towing.

Matt R

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the 5.4 and not the 4.6L I assume, right? You could try and disconnect the lighters on at the lighter itself since getting to the back of the fuse panel is a *****. (from what I've tried, unless I'm doing something wrong).

OP
OP
J

jsmeurer

Reaction score
Here is an update: It was the cig Lighter plunger itself that was blowing the fuse. Socket works fine with other 12v adaptors. I went to get the codes read and they are as follows: P0153 o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1, P1405 Manufacurer Contrl Aux emission controls and P1151 Manufacturer Contrl Fuel Air Metering. The guy at the store didn't know which O2 sensor I needed so I am back at the computer to do some more research. He also said that changing the O2 sensor might fix the other 2 codes. Do you guys have an opinion on that?

Also where do you think I should start with the rear fan controls, neither the one in the front console or the 2nd row will turn on the fan. Would both stop working if only one was bad? Thanks again for your help!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how many miles on your o2 sensors? I would replace both the front sensors..... Only the ones before the catylitic converter..

Matt R

OP
OP
J

jsmeurer

Reaction score
Not sure how many miles, I've only had the truck a few months. Can you tell me what length lead I need for the front sensors? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

mustangswan

Reaction score
The p1405 is upstream dpfe sensor hose concern, could be a clogged hose, best bet is to replace the sensor and hoses. The other 2 codes are fuel control codes for the driver's side. Which is most likely the o2 sensor getting slow. I recommend checking for vacuum leaks at the PCV hose before you the sensor.You might also think about the fuel filter, if you dont know how long is has been since it has been changed and the light only comes on while towing, a fuel filter is normally not wasting money. The driver's side O2 sensor is not bad to change, but the passenger side can be a challenge. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev