Ceramic Coating vs PPF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelties-rock

Reaction score
Just purchased a New 2023 Limited Stealth Edition in Dark Matter Gray. Got front windows tinted at a Ceramic Pro certified shop. They have vehicle coating packages like Ceramic and PPF.

Has anyone had either done to their Expy and if so, was it full body or just front and what is your experience so far? Pros and Cons for either?

Dropping $70k plus on a new Expy, it sounds like a good investment but not 100% convinced...

Appreciate any replies back to this thread, thanks!!!

Regards,
I had the ceramic coating done earlier this year in May. I got a 4 year one and they did the entire expedition max and windows. It looks great! However, just know you can never run it thru a car wash again. That messes up the warranty. You have to either hand wash it or have it hand washed. Don’t try going the cheap route. I had a friend do it that way and his car ended up looking hazy including the windows. Research who u get to do it. I’m not sure that the pod wouldn’t be better but it probably cost more. I’m very happy w/my ceramic coating.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just purchased a '23 Limited SPP in star white. I love the white and gloss black and need to protect the front of the vehicle with PPF. I have appointment to do this in a week. I did not do PPF on my 2017 Expy and the front suffered many chips as a result. When I traded it in, it had many blemishes due to my filling the chips with matched trim paint. In northern Nevada, interstate speed limits are 80 mph which means some rocks are propelled up to 160 mph. And of course, NDOT uses sand/salt +/- gravel mix when it snows. I will definitely get the front done with quality 8 mil 3M sheets. It is expensive but best to get it done early. We did the front of my wife's 2015 Toyota Venza (you know, Toyota paint...) and today it looks wonderful, shiny and no dings since the PPF heals with each rock chip. Strongly recommend the PPF on the front. For the rest of the vehicle, I use Colinite aircraft wax. Works like a charm.

zeecarr

Reaction score
There is a high end detailing place right near me. There are always Range Rovers and McLarens in there every time I drive by. A couple of years back I had my F-150 done up. They wrapped the front end, hood, fenders, etc. Then they did the whole truck in a ceramic coat with a 5 year warranty. The ceramic coat was a pain in the butt because of all kinds of rules to keep it in good shape and not wash it off with the wrong chemical.

Fast forward 18 months and I traded that F-150 on a new year-end close-out 2023 loaded Expedition. I went back to get the same treatment done and the owner informed me that he had moved on past the wrap and ceramic coat to a new MUCH better product called Icon Rocklear. It's more like a self healing clear coat that goes on really thick compared to ceramic. So now the front end areas that used to get wrapped get two coats of the Icon Rocklear instead and the rest of the truck gets one coat. This new better method was cheaper, looks better, came with a 15 year warranty and you don't have all the silly rules that a ceramic coat requires. He said no problem to take it through a car wash with brushes!

Old Dog

Reaction score
I had the whole front hood , fenders and half way up quarter panels all the way back with PPF. Had my 2016 Raptor and 2 F-150 trucks done. The PPF I used if you get a scratch in it just take a heat gun or park in full sun and they will heal themselves.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is amazing stuff the way it heals. I am hesitant to drive interstate miles until I get the front done. On my wife's 2015 Venza, after 7 years, it still looks new and shiny after 75 k miles. This Icon Rocklear stuff zeecar mentions above sounds too good to be true.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
I've done 3M PPF and Opti-Coat ceramic on my last 2 cars. I have a 10yr warranty on the Opti-Coat with no obligations for special care. I even get a discount on cleaning from my detailer and free reapplication when I get small scratches buffed out. Super happy with the products.

Posting today because I got hit by a huge rock on the highway, was sure it would be carnage even with the PPF... but it wasn't. I could see a mark in the film but it disappeared after sitting in the sun a bit.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The protective film is a must for high-speed interstate driving especially with the higher speed limits out west. Just too bad it costs an additional $grand+ after plopping down a fist full of money on vehicle purchase!!

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
The protective film is a must for high-speed interstate driving especially with the higher speed limits out west. Just too bad it costs an additional $grand+ after plopping down a fist full of money on vehicle purchase!!
Its worth the money but that seems a bit steep. The 3M film was under 600$ installed for me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire