certificat on towing weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedzone

Reaction score
Hi
is there any out there how can help with an
certificat or something likewise
or have an name at ford that might do cert...

problem;
my 2001 xlt 5,4 towing package in sweden now
and i am in progress to have it reg w new swedish plates

I need some sort of cert that the xlt/hitch is capable of towing
that weight

on my knees
;)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They won't accept what is found in the owner's manual?

OP
OP
S

speedzone

Reaction score
hi
maybe not
but i think i try with all the papers i can get my hands on
before i enter the swedish car testing facility and the men i blue

if they dont accept my papers they just stamp an 3300 lbs on the expy's reg paper and thats only half isnt it?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, the 5.4 does about 8000lbs. I don't think theres anywhere to find a certificate of towing capacity. If you find the class of hitch, which should be III or IV you'll have an idea.

Does it matter? Can't you tow whatever you want without some certificate crap or did some yoyo try and tow a travel trailer with a geo and jack knife on the highway and pissed off the ministry?

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Is it the factory hitch? There is a sticker to the left of the receiver on my' 00 EB. It was painted over. After cleaning it up it gave the capacities. This one's a Class IV.
Alternately do a web search for Trailer Life Tow Guides. They are available in PDF format for download. Maybe if they can see the ratings from a reliable, long time, scource of information they'll let loose with the papers.
BTW, just came back from the shake-down run. Pulled my vintage 20 foot Airstream without a hic-cup. Much better than the old E-150.
Good Luck,

Tom.

OP
OP
S

speedzone

Reaction score
Tanks for tip, great pdf at trailer life!
i got a class V hitch on my expedo
the thing about having a US 2" type of hithes reg. in europe is they dont like em. (the push in lock w. pin type)
they have there own test of hithes and the US type test and rating are not compatible to euro ratings, not right on anyway!
and that sucks.. if anybody now sometings obout towing it you guys.(big boys toys and so on..)
so iam thinkin welding in a 2X2" w . a plate and bolting on a euro certified 50mm ball. plus a bundle of paper with me on the reg. day.
now i have to put side markings light on the front fenders and change the backligt to blink orange stamp in the vin number on the frame and some more practical thing...
all becourse i want to ride a real suv and not a micky mouse typo

please dont pick on my typing, swedish is my native languese not english ;-)

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
I was wondering if the US hitch might be a problem.
I have worked for VW, Audi, BMW as a tech for 30+ years. I think US residents would be amazed at the one piece, welded and forged frame mounted hitches I have seen come in on cars that were brought back to the states after European delivery.
To our eyes they don't seem very versatile, but, they are very well engineered and strong.
I also have heard that electric brakes and not well regarded and hydraulic surge brakes are the norm.

Keep us posted,
Tom.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow europe is **** about towing stuff. We just get our trailer and go. If its unsafe expect to get pulled over, and the ministry is very strict here so its usually fine.

You mean that your going to permanently wield a hitch on your truck? That seems kinda dumb. And you need amber signals in your rear and sides? Thats pretty unnecessary if you ask me.

You guys lots of bad drivers there or something?

If you talking about those one peice metal tubes that rap around everything I'd say those look like junk. Import SUVs tend to use them, and they're never rated for more than 5000lbs ussually, so I wouldn't say those hitches are anything special. More than not they say hidden hitch or some crap on them so I assume thats what they're designed for.

What do you mean by electric brakes not regulated and hydros are the norm?

Last edited: