Towing Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Hi folks - I own a 2020 RWD Expedition Max, without the HD Towing package - so 6300lbs tow capacity and 1600lb payload capacity (from the label on the door jab). I've read all 4th gen threads so far as well, using the search function, but want to get y'all's feedback.

I am looking at a trailer (Jayco 224 bh) with 4500lb dry weght, and 5500 GVWR.

Family weighs 500lbs. We'll mostly drive with the tanks empty, and for majority of the trips, I'll just carry one propane tank to shed some weight.

So with a Weight distribution hitch (Equal-i-zer 4 point), I am within spec. But I want to see if I can be comfortable with the tow.. Any advices? Should I downsize the trailer? Especially if I want to climb hills? Worried mostly about transmission temp and sway control etc.

As for upgrades (I will still be under spec for non-HD towing, but want to try and get as many HD Towing upgrades as possible):
- Ford OEM brake controller install
- Possibly shocks + sumo springs
- Powerstop truck towing brakes and rotors
- Better cooling - all 4th gens have trans cooler. But need beefier radiator. I wish there was more knowledge around here on beefing up the radiators (either from the HD towing package or aftermarket). I read all the threads here, but looks like no one has done anythng

The larger real axles and 3.73 diff - well I cannot change that. But I will be within payload and towing specs. So hopefully not an issue

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a smaller trailer!! 50/80 rule especially when you don’t have the additional cooling systems. Dry weight 50% or less your max so 3100 dry weight. 80% your max loaded 5000lbs loaded. Even my heavy Tow Exp, for camping I shoot for 20-22ft max box trailer length they all tow horribly bad compared to other trailer types I tow. The longer they are the worse they are in towing quality. Cooling with these box trailers is about wind drag vs speeds not really about weight. My horse trailer weighs far more than a 20ft Geopro but its shape and road manners are massively superior to the geopro.

As for camping? Camping is all about toys and gear each of my family members 4 typically have 40-50lbs each in shoes, clothing etc. Not counting bikes, water toys etc. We haul water because we don’t “camp” where hookups exist.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Fair - I am coming to the same conclusion to go for a smaller trailer. I might not go as low as 3100 dry, but end up at 3500 dry. Thanks for the suggestion!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At least one person has successfully installed a transmission cooler. That would take care of any additional cooling that you may need.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this does not answer your question specifically, but…. We have a 2023 Platinum with the heavy dut tow package. At the same time we bought a 33’ travel trailer with a 6800# dry weight and of course a weight equalizing hitch.

Twice we have gone for a long weekend about 40 miles from home. Sounds like not much, but we live in the hill country of Texas and have dealt with some pretty big hills in 100 degree heat.

It will easily maintain 70 mph plus without even realizing it. I was trying to keep the speed no more than 65.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you will be fine with that trailer. Not sure what kind of trips you are planning and how much climbing you will be doing though. You technically are within spec and I think you will be fine. Especially if you have realistic expectations about long grades.

The equalizer is a good hitch and any brake controller is fine but the factory one does look nice.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you almost never tow the empty trailer, except maybe the day it goes home.

I *always* base my towing weights on the MAXIMUM loaded weight of the trailer.

also pay attention to your GCWR, which is gross combined weight thats the loaded SUV + loaded trailer.

the tongue weight plus the weight of the hitching equipment has to be considered as part of the truck payload.

I have a 2019 Expy Limited Stealth, with the HD tow. While the maximum tow capacity is, IIRC, 9300 lbs, if I was towing that much, with the minimal safe 10% tongue weight of 930 lbs, I'd be down to 500 or 600 lbs of payload. The GCWR of 15300 lbs, also restricts the payload with a maximum trailer.

I wouldn't want to tow much over a 6000-7000 lb trailer on a regular basis, and for long distances, even with the HD tow.... My trailer is 4500 lbs GWR.

without the HD tow, I'd not want to go over my 4500 lb 21' molded fiberglass Escape....

occasional tows, whole different story. just make sure you don't exceed your GCWR or axle weights.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh, your curb weight should be approximately the GVWR on the weight sticker minus the max payload on the tire sticker.

like here's my sticker,
PXL_20230830_191508896-X3.jpg

my GWVR is 7450 lbs. my payload is 1504 lbs. so my trucks' curb weight without any added stuff, is 7450-1504 = 5946 lbs. a non-HD expedition has a GCWR around 12300 lbs...

so if that non-HD truck is towing a max 6000 lb trailer, the GCWR is 5946+6000 lbs == 11946, which would mean, you only have 12300 - 11946 = 354 lbs available payload. my wife and I exceed that before we pack anything.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
the GVWR of the trailer is only 5500. So even in your math I have another 500left. And I think max tow for me is 6300

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The GCWR should be listed on a page in the Ford 20XX Towing Guide ... like, this is the table from the 2019 towing guide...

Capture.JPG

so my non-MAX 4x4 with HD tow (the 3.73 axle), has a GCWR of 15500. the last post, I was intentionally mixing up numbers that were specific with my Expedition with generic numbers for a non-HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire