Change radio to navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jawalla3

Reaction score
I have a regular radio and how much of a pain is it to change to factory sync navigation?

OP
OP
J

jawalla3

Reaction score
2009, I have watch a video, just asking if someone has done it and what you need beside the nav unit.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You dont want 2009 SYNC

You want a much cheaper and better android head unit

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not 100% on what all has changed over the years, but my 2008 with factory Nav has its GPS antenna under the dashboard, inside the cabin. The contrary belief is the GPS antenna is the hockey puck on the passengerside roof, which is incorrect.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The 2008 and the 2009 Navigation units are entirely different. Both may require programming, but the 2009 requires a harness and other equipment to operate. Look at Infotainment's Web site. And hold on to your wallet as LRN above told you. There's lots on the Internet about this installation.

Neilster1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a Pioneer NEX hu and a Maestro RR interface. Android auto/carplay capable and I haven't looked back. I even replaced the stock sub with a decent amp and a 12" sub.. sounds great. SYNC isnt worth it.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My top of dashboard Garmin is a better navigation unit than the Sync3 unit in my year-old '17 Expedition. I run them both and when they disagree I ignore the Ford unit. For one thing the maps in the Garmin get updated several times a year; I don't think the Sync3 maps have been updated since 2015 despite the car being made in 2017.

I'd not put more money in a 2009 Expedition than is there already.

-- Chuck