Changed my daily driver, What is your daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Corolla as my daily until I was t-boned by a drunk driver last year.

Now my daily driver is (don’t laugh) a 2008 Lincoln town car. I love it, very comfortable on the bad roads we have around. My plan is to wait until the automatic transmission dies then swap a 6-speed and probably put a vortec supercharger.

The Expy is our road trip machine, we put 25,000 miles in 18 months

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s my daily, with 2 car seats a couple TVs, fridge and camping / beach gear. Kids and parents love it, and I work from home anyways so driving is my guilty pleasure lol who cares about gas mileage or maintenance; I wrench myself and the thing does give good mpg for its size. (Limited Max)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Mine is, and no, I don't enjoy it. It's too large, has huge blindspots, and between the tranny downshifts and the turbo lag it's almost dangerous in North Texas suburb traffic and in navigating the multiple freeway on/off ramps with other cars crossing over six lanes of traffic in both directions trying to get to where they want to go.

Now, once you get on some back country roads that you have all to your lonesome and can just roll around in 4WD, it's fairly decent. It's certainly nice when you can point it in one direction on the freeway and just let it cruise for 3 or 4 hours.

So, I'd say - good for taking expeditions, not good for daily'ing if you have an abundance of traffic to deal with.

Tmg115

Reaction score
Now, once you get on some back country roads that you have all to your lonesome and can just roll around in 4WD, it's fairly decent. QUOTE]

You don't put your expedition in 4wd just because your on a country road do you? Unless you have wheel slip, 4wd should not be engaged.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is, and no, I don't enjoy it. It's too large, has huge blindspots, and between the tranny downshifts and the turbo lag it's almost dangerous in North Texas suburb traffic and in navigating the multiple freeway on/off ramps with other cars crossing over six lanes of traffic in both directions trying to get to where they want to go.

I agree that the Highway and country roads are the Expeditions forte. For us, it is really the perfect road trip vehicle. But as for the tranny downshifts and turbo lag, I do not have the same issues. My experience is quite the opposite. The tranny has been all but perfect and I have never had any issue with turbo lag. I have driven single turbos and turbo diesels over the years. I know what turbo lag is like and the twin scroll in the EB virtually removes the lag.

Might be you should get yours checked out to see if all is performing correctly.

As for it being too large, well it is what it is and "too large" can be relative. It is big I'll grant you but that is what most of us wanted or we would have purchased an Explorer (or some other mid size SUV).

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
The Expedition MAX is currently the daily driver, family hauler, and road trip vehicle. We’re keeping the Expedition until it falls apart. I work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom so we don’t need a second vehicle at the moment. Although now that the kids are getting older and wanting to play sports it seems we’ll need a second vehicle soon. We’ll end up getting a fun/sporty car as our second and will likely be our daily driver and only use the Expedition when needed.

I do love how much room the Expedition has and how easy it to a to get in and out of. I’m not extremely tall (6’1”) but getting in and out of my cousins mustang I feel like my back is going to snap.

OP
OP
L

lwdavis

Reaction score
It’s my daily, with 2 car seats a couple TVs, fridge and camping / beach gear. Kids and parents love it, and I work from home anyways so driving is my guilty pleasure lol who cares about gas mileage or maintenance; I wrench myself and the thing does give good mpg for its size. (Limited Max)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in if you have the RSE tvs or went aftermarket. The new Expedition also has two car seats in it and will be our new go to road trip vehicle. Just curious what aftermarket tvs look/work well with mounting onto the headrests. Ive seen a lot of stuff on ebay etc from China, just not ready to pull the trigger. Done multiple forum searches here with some dated links. Just curious what you have and if you like it.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
You don't put your expedition in 4wd just because your on a country road do you? Unless you have wheel slip, 4wd should not be engaged.

My FX4 has 4A, it switches automatically into it when shifted into sport mode, and yes, it's usually always there because the tranny shifts and steering responsiveness are even worse if not in sport and flipping it back to 2H each time is just one more button push I don't need to make to save a bit of MPG.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
But as for the tranny downshifts and turbo lag, I do not have the same issues. My experience is quite the opposite. The tranny has been all but perfect and I have never had any issue with turbo lag. I have driven single turbos and turbo diesels over the years. I know what turbo lag is like and the twin scroll in the EB virtually removes the lag.

Might be you should get yours checked out to see if all is performing correctly.

It's the combination of the 10 speed tranny sitting in 7th gear at 35mph, slowly speeding up to 45 mph and then needing instant acceleration and it not being available as the tranny downshifts and the turbos attempt to kick in. The time it takes both of those things to happen is incredibly lengthy. Sport mode holding at the lower gears helps - a lot, but it is still not a pleasant driving experience to have to mash to pedal the floor every time I want what I would consider to be an average amount of acceleration.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the combination of the 10 speed tranny sitting in 7th gear at 35mph, slowly speeding up to 45 mph and then needing instant acceleration and it not being available as the tranny downshifts and the turbos attempt to kick in. The time it takes both of those things to happen is incredibly lengthy. Sport mode holding at the lower gears helps - a lot, but it is still not a pleasant driving experience to have to mash to pedal the floor every time I want what I would consider to be an average amount of acceleration.
]

Sounds like it might be more a result of differences in driving styles than anything else. I am very comfortable with the gear selection of the 10 speed. But then again, there also is likely a wide difference in what I see as a traffic jam versus what you see daily.