Changed my daily driver, What is your daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmg115

Reaction score
My FX4 has 4A, it switches automatically into it when shifted into sport mode, and yes, it's usually always there because the tranny shifts and steering responsiveness are even worse if not in sport and flipping it back to 2H each time is just one more button push I don't need to make to save a bit of MPG.

Oh ok. I was worried you were on 4wd all the time . That would have been an expensive driving habit when that transfer case goes out and front drive axels. 4A is just an automatic sensor that will engage 4wd if it senses wheel slip but the truck is in 2wd the rest of the time.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 Expedition Max Platinum is my DD...well, when I’m home (40 flights in the last 12 weeks) and when I actually leave the house. I work out of a home office even before the beer virus. I like it a lot. It some areas it blows my previous DD a Grand Cherokee Overland Summit away (sheer space among them of course), and others I find it substandard. Even this new Platinum doesn’t have as nice an interior as my 2011 Summit did. The Jeep also had a Hemi that I threw a Corsa exhaust on. It sounded MEAN when I got on it and had a nice low rumble that wasn’t annoying otherwise. It was tuned as well so it shifted awesome. While I am a little let down in some areas the Expedition fits our lifestyle and family better.

Wife’s DD is a 2015 Lincoln MKS AWD. Really surprised how much we like the car. It isn’t our ideal color combo (Pearl/tan) but we found it 3 years old with 10K miles on it for $18K. It was $65K new. It was a theft recovery with zero issues. Best I could piece together is it was a family dispute after the owner passed away that led to it being reported “stolen”.

Last edited:

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was daily driving my Expedition since 2018. Had a long commute to work and after I racked up over 80k miles on it, I figured I should get a sedan as a DD. Bought a used 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Loving the 42-45 mpg. It now has 43K miles on it. Bought it still under warranty but don’t remember exact mileage. Approx 32k when I bought it. Between the mileage difference and using regular instead of premium on the Expedition, it has been a wash cost wise but it does keep the expedition in good shape and mileage down.

Chuck E

Reaction score
Before COVID, my DD was a Lexus GS 350. I went to WFH and then retired, so no more driving daily.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our Expedition was never meant to be a daily driver. All that money was for a nice (really nice) big vehicle we could put multiple family members in and go sight see, visit, just enjoy a day of riding around the country side. My wife and I, three 9 year olds (10 this December) belonging to our son and our nephew, the wife's sister (grandparent of two of them) and the great grandmother (wife's mom) and the food, I pads, etc. make for a full load that wouldn't begin to fit in the Cherokee Sport or the Outlander.

My daily driver was my Genesis Coupe (3.8 Track, 6 spd. manual transmission). Fun as hell, decent gas mileage and plenty of room for just the two of us.

Based on my age/physical condition I sometimes hurt my back, shoulder, knee, etc. and wanted something (the Outlander is just okay, not fun) my wife could/would drive if I got hurt while out of state and we needed to get back home. So, looked around, found a 2015 435i X drive at a good price and bought it. We are socking the miles on that thing. Awesome car/coupe. Darn thing runs good, handles good, has plenty of room in it for the two of us, bigger trunk than the Genesis Coupe and get better mpg on the highway than even my wife's 4 cyl. Outlander, let alone the Genesis Coupe. Hard to argue with something that runs like a scalded dog and still get 35 to 36 mpg on the highway (38 is the best, 33 the worst - up in the mountains of WV). Even local driving here we're getting 25 to 26 mpg out of it. Only 1 or 2 mpg less than the Outlander and way more fun to drive.

Mike K

Reaction score
Our Expy is second car. We also have a 2011 Sienna, got 4 kids and one more on the way so yeah, we need big vehicles. Sold my truck, just too small.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is, and no, I don't enjoy it. It's too large, has huge blindspots, and between the tranny downshifts and the turbo lag it's almost dangerous in North Texas suburb traffic and in navigating the multiple freeway on/off ramps with other cars crossing over six lanes of traffic in both directions trying to get to where they want to go.

Now, once you get on some back country roads that you have all to your lonesome and can just roll around in 4WD, it's fairly decent. It's certainly nice when you can point it in one direction on the freeway and just let it cruise for 3 or 4 hours.

So, I'd say - good for taking expeditions, not good for daily'ing if you have an abundance of traffic to deal with.

I don't seem to have the same issues that you have in traffic. Washington, DC commute traffic with stop and go (I-270, I-495, Dulles Toll Road, Rt 123, and I-66) has not been an issue. Getting off and on highways also not an issue. Even maneuvering around in some of the narrow DC streets around GWU to get to my customer location has not been an issue. The ONLY issue has been parking garages. There are a few where I am close to max and once I get my lift, will no longer be an option for me.

RABAYL01

Reaction score
I wanted to chime on this thread as my first post!

So my previous DD before my Expy was a 2014 Mazda 3 s GT. I racked up the miles in 5 years when I traded it in with 118k miles on it. Big difference coming from a small hatchback to a full size SUV! Although I did have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche before the Mazda so I'm familiar with big vehicles.

Got my 2019 Expedition Limited back in Feb 2020. So at that point, 2020MY Expys were already on sale so I got a hefty $16k discount off my $76k sticker truck.
I was originally looking only at mid size SUVs and was almost convinced with the Explorer ST. Although I really wanted a full size suv. But when my wife compared the 3rd rows of each vehicle, she was sold to the Expy!

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
97’ F150 is my daily to a from work. Runs like a Swiss Watch. I love this thing almost as much as my Exp and it’s only worth bout $25006407368D-5BB3-460D-99E5-5C9EDD0A3B27.jpeg

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had a similar F-150 which was great...until my one son was T-boned by an inattentive driver making a left turn. I really liked the look of that body style even though many don't.