Changing Rims size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an XLT 2WD with 255/70R16 rims. I plan to switch to 18x9.5 rims and was suggested I get 285/60R18.

However my stock tire diameter is 30" while the new tires will be 31.50".

my question is, should I get 285/55R18s instead to keep the factory diameter? Or am I making such a big fuss about it?

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you like that low sidewall thing, then the 55s would look cooler. Your speedo could show a mile or two slower than you're actually going, but that could be changed with most of the programmers out there. I doubt that you'll notice any performance difference with the slightly bigger rubber.

OP
OP
Z

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you like that low sidewall thing, then the 55s would look cooler. Your speedo could show a mile or two slower than you're actually going, but that could be changed with most of the programmers out there. I doubt that you'll notice any performance difference with the slightly bigger rubber.

as far as the looks department, I do prefer the bigger one. But going 55series would keep the factory diameter and keep the speedo accurate

where can I re-calibrate speedometers?