Charging Light under WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.4 with 136k on it.
Under WOT, at about 4500 RPM, the charging light will come on. As soon as it shifts or drops RPMs it goes off.
Any ideas???

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alternator problem most likely. Try to substitute it with a known good unit to see if the problem persists.
Also check v belt to see if there are any signs of slippage (shiny areas).

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With engine running watch the movement of the belt tensioner, it is only allowed at max a slight movement up/down. It shoulkd appear steady with no movement. If it is bouncing the spring has weakened and the serp belt slipping.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Belt tensioner is my guess, the angle even with a stock size pulley between the tensioner and the alternator is very dependent on full spring tension.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that same exact issue on my '99.
Alternator was the problem. More specifically, voltage regulator, but the alternator is internally regulated.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was the alternator. I replaced the belt first - no joy. Replaced the alternator and issue went away. Just hope the Duralast Gold one works well.