chasing a p0171 P0174 trouble code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john08007

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Exp 5.4L and the CEL comes on from time to time, when it does there it has a P0171 P0174 code. It also seems to run kinda rough at times also. I have since replaced the elbow and hose that goes to the back of the intake since many people say this is the fault. I have also replaced the coil packs and injectors and the same issue pops up from time to time. I have also replaced the fuel pump because it was losing pressure when it sat causing it hard to start right away. Today I figured I would hook up my new scanner and see what it says, i noticed the following data at idle:
Fuel System1 CL
Fuel System2 --?
Ect 77 Degrees C
Short Term Trim B1 -2.3 to 2.3 (changes between these numbers)
Long Term Trim B1 23.4
Short Term Trim B2 -2.3 to .8 (changes between these numbers)
Long Term Trim B2 16.4
RPM 700
Spark Adv 17 deg
MAF 5.14
TP% 19.2
02B1S2 .035
Short Term Fuel Trim B1 S2 N/A
02B1S2 .575
Short Term Fuel Trim B2 S2 99.2%

From this Data I thought that it was a problem that it has NA for I think the O2 sensor #2 on Bank 1, from what I understand this would be the one after the catalytic converter. I was thinking the next step should be to watch the fuel trims and spray some carb cleaner around the hoses on the engines and see if they change. Any other help, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thebeebs

Reaction score
First clean the MAF sensor. the check the DPFE tubes and sensor. I have found this to eliminate 90% of these codes. Use CRC MAF cleaner.

Jdbayy1

Reaction score
Mine ended up being nothing malfunctioning, just a clogged port in the throttle body. Yes I replaced a bunch of stuff first! Then I talked to a ford mechanic.....Youtube it. They clog with carbon. Mine was so bad I couldn't find it until I scrubbed the body and found a black spot about the size of a pencil that wouldn't come off! Guess what the spot was? Yeah, the port that was so packed I had to dig it out with wire!