Cheapest Way to Get a Spare Key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
holy cow you live!

Haha, well I do not own the expedition anymore, I sold it to my parents who need it for some construction work they are doing on their house and I was posting the question for them. They got a little impatient though and just went to the dealership to get the new keys before I could tell them there were cheaper options. The dealership had problems programming the keys and said the problem was due to a short caused by the cigarette lighter element not working. I already knew the cigarette lighter didn't work, but my parents didn't, and Ford charged them $100 to find that out.
My question, is it really true that you can't program a key just because the cigarrete lighter isn't working? The dealer claims they took out the fuse to the lighter in order to be able to program the key, but how does taking out the fuse help when the lighter is already disabled due to being broken? In other words, did taking out the fuse really fix the short, or are were they just talking some BS?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird. Taking out the fuse should disable the OBDII port. Obviously not needed when you have 2+ keys, but is it needed for programming a second key?

Reaction score
There is now another option. Our Lowes in town can now make a new key. With the only original key, they inserted the original key and read it, inserted the new blank and programmed it and then cut it. Talking to a locksmith, he said that what they are doing is cloning it with the same code as the original. Cost about $75.00 instead of the $130.00 the dealer wanted and the time programming it.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is now another option. Our Lowes in town can now make a new key. With the only original key, they inserted the original key and read it, inserted the new blank and programmed it and then cut it. Talking to a locksmith, he said that what they are doing is cloning it with the same code as the original. Cost about $75.00 instead of the $130.00 the dealer wanted and the time programming it.

Walmart can do the same thing now, for $65. But you may need to find an associate that knows how. Mine was confused, which is weird because there are two buttons on the machine that programs. Read and Write. Once I explained that to her, she bagged it up and forgot to cut it. Took about 15 minutes total, but I got my spare key.