Checking for loose suspension parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BerndM

Reaction score
2003 EB 4WD 5.4
Can I assume with any degree of confidence, that in order to try to find the culprit that is causing some annoying mild clunking while driving over small irregularities in the road, that the EB should have all 4 wheels on the ground, rather than being hoisted up ???
I initially suspected my front lower ball joints but several mechanics have told me that worn or bad ball joints tend to squeak.
Mine do no such thing
Thanks

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the dust boots on the ball joints cracked or split? That's a good sign to replace 'em. The mild clunking can be a couple of things. Mine ended up being the swaybar bushings that mount the swaybar to the frame. The bushings got very hard and lost any flex they should've had. I replace 'em with some Moog bushings and that solved it. Clicking or moaning from the rear suspension is most likely the lower ball joint bushings at the rear wheels. The front lowers and the rear lowers support the vehicle weight and wear out before any of the uppers.

-Mike