checking out an used 2017 xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyanxu

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at a used 2017 XLT with 41K miles and asking price is 25000 USD.
Seems a good deal but also wanted to wait a year for a used 2018 next year.
Looked up on the web: 2018 gets complete redesign, 10 speed new transmission, port and direct injection etc. The 2018 looks very attractive.

Anyways, this used 2017 seems a good deal and probably go check it out this weekend.
It was a rental vehicle for average 20K miles a year.
Anything to look for specifically?
Any known issues for that model year except the intake valve coking issue?

Or, is a used 2018 worth waiting for?
Thank you for your time.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18 is the 1st year of a new model. I try to avoid them as they tend to work out the kinks in the next model years. However they are reporting better gas mileage, tech toys and interior plus the valves are being "washed" with gas so you don't have to even think about carbon build up over the long haul (if you keep them a long time). I think they are using aluminum panels if rust is a concern.

I have a 17 XLT El from a rental or fleet (by carfax report) that I bought last year for $34K with 29,000 on it. This was a good deal at the time. It's been problem free for the 20k miles I've put on it but hate the idea that I need to install a "catch can" on it to make it last. Anyway I can't believe how much the value has dropped on it in just 1 year.

I'd hold out if you can it's amazing how fast expedition values drop on the used market.

Heck there's several used 18 XL max 4x4 with very low miles for around $38K asking price.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/AWD+~+4WD/2018/Ford/Expedition+Max/Ballston+Spa+NY-12020?driveGroup=AWD4WD&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&modelCodeList=FORDEXPMAX,EXPEDIEL,EXPEDI&zip=12020&startYear=2018&endYear=2018&marketExtension=true&listingTypes=USED,CERTIFIED&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Here's one I really like for $38,790 that has the heavy duty tow package included and only 59 miles on it.
https://www.crossroadsfordcary.com/used-Cary-2018-Ford-Expedition+Max-XL-1FMJK1GT5JEA50767

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
Seems a good deal but also wanted to wait a year for a used 2018 next year.
Looked up on the web: 2018 gets complete redesign, 10 speed new transmission, port and direct injection etc. The 2018 looks very attractive.

Anyways, this used 2017 seems a good deal and probably go check it out this weekend.
It was a rental vehicle for average 20K miles a year.
Anything to look for specifically?
Any known issues for that model year except the intake valve coking issue?

Or, is a used 2018 worth waiting for?
Thank you for your time.
I’d stay away from the new 4th gens. They just don’t sit well with me aesthetically or in the performance department. My 16 has 40,000 miles on it and has been excellent. I put a $150 catch can on it and do 5000 mile FS oil changes. It’s got a custom tune that puts me well over 450rwhp and 450ft/lbs of torque so performance wise I’m well above an 18 and for mine being lifted with 35s I still get 23mpg.
It’s all personal preference though...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

Thats pretty vauge. XL or regular length? 2WD or 4X4? Navigation? Leather? Moonroof? Bald tires? Lots of factors outside of mileage determine price/value.

To answer your question though. I'd hold out for a used 2018 myself. I mean the iPhone 6 was great, but if you were in the market for a phone, would you go out & get an iPhone 6 today?

(FWIW I've owned my 2008 since new)

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These things depreciate like crazy. I wouldn't recommend getting a 2018 until the kinks inherit in a new vehicle introduction are worked out. The biggest benefits are the tilt seats 2nd row, 10-speed, and available adaptive cruise. I would say get a 2016 or 2017, then trade up in two or three years. I picked up my former fleet 2017 EL Limited 4x2 for around 32K and I'm sure they can be had for much cheaper if you shop around.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These things depreciate like crazy. I wouldn't recommend getting a 2018 until the kinks inherit in a new vehicle introduction are worked out. The biggest benefits are the tilt seats 2nd row, 10-speed, and available adaptive cruise. I would say get a 2016 or 2017, then trade up in two or three years. I picked up my former fleet 2017 EL Limited 4x2 for around 32K and I'm sure they can be had for much cheaper if you shop around.

You CAN recline 3rd gen 2nd row seats

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was referring to the tilt forward for easier ingress into the third row. The fold forward seat is a pain compared to the new design.

3rd gen has:
Tilt back
Fold forward
Fold forward and drop to floor
Tumble forward