Cher trapped in my muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This topic has appeared before in this forum but I still have questions. After leaving my '17 Limited (52k on clock) unattended for 10 days or so it looks like critters have entered and caused issues. As you can see, the packing looks like long, human hair.

muffler.jpg

I tried stuffing it back in but I'm not sure that will last. The gas milage doesn't seem to be affected, but I'm not sure as it just happened yesterday.

Next step? Replace the muffler (ouch)? Try to put something in place to keep the stuffing where it is now? Have a shop try to replace the packing?

thanks for any help...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think most owners just cut the resonator off and run a straight pipe back to match the outlet spot. Put a chrome tip on it if you want to look fancy.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I mistakenly calling the resonator the muffler?

If that is the case, does it mean the "hair" inside the resonator is not needed? Will that effect fuel efficiency, performance - if the resonator is removed?

As of now, I don't seem to notice it being any louder than normal after I stuffed the "hair" back in.

(Just returned from Ft Lauderdale, love the New River and the whole area!)

VBreithaupt

Reaction score
When you started the truck up did it start playing “Do you believe in love” or I got you babe”! Sorry had to say it

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was definitely "I got you babe". I had no idea how she got in there!

But seriously, I'm hoping someone can respond to my questions above. Just shoving the packing back in seems to be working for now, but it seems like that's too good to be true.

Have any of you had this happen? How did you resolve it?

thanks

75Flh

Reaction score

But seriously, I'm hoping someone can respond to my questions above. Just shoving the packing back in seems to be working for now, but it seems like that's too good to be true.

thanks

I have not had that happen on a ford..... but my turbo rzr I put an aftermarket muffler on it and it blew the packing out enough to clog the exhaust and Run rough enough to have a cel...

If it's the resonator, I would cut the packing and not put it back in...it's just for sound and will just be hair louder

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score

thanks
Here's a couple other threads on this. Seems the solution is replace the resonator, or just remove it.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I had this same thing happen on a 2015 F-150 about a year prior to me trading it in on my Expy. I ended up cutting out the exposed fiberglass. Noticed no difference, and no more came out for the rest of my ownership. I would just cut that off and keep an eye on it. If it keeps coming out replace the resonator.