Child Locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok my child lock switches are in the unlocked position and the doors still only opens from the outside as if the child locks were on. Is it possible to remove this safety lock without messing up the door locks themselfs?

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
98EXeb, I know this is going to sound silly, but do the handle work normally for a few times right after you disengage the child locks and then you start having issues? If you look at the child lock switch, every time you move the handle, the button will walk a little bit. After a few times, it will engage the child lock by itself. The solution, pull the eraser out of a pencil and put it in the gap where the switch will want to go.

As for removing the child lock switch, I would not do that as it will make this condition even worse since there will be nothing to provide drag. If you do remove the switch, you will need to find a way to hold the lever at the latch down so it can not move on you.

OP
OP
98EXeb

98EXeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
98EXeb, I know this is going to sound silly, but do the handle work normally for a few times right after you disengage the child locks and then you start having issues? If you look at the child lock switch, every time you move the handle, the button will walk a little bit. After a few times, it will engage the child lock by itself. The solution, pull the eraser out of a pencil and put it in the gap where the switch will want to go.

As for removing the child lock switch, I would not do that as it will make this condition even worse since there will be nothing to provide drag. If you do remove the switch, you will need to find a way to hold the lever at the latch down so it can not move on you.

As far as the lock ever working normally a few times then disengaging...I dont know. I bought my EX in April and as far as I know it has never worked right. I checked it the day I bought and set the lock into the locked position. Today set the locks into the unlock position so I didnt have to open the door for backseat passengers, but the child lock stayed engaged?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
98EXeb, from the sounds of things, someone has gotten into the doors and "fixed" the child lock issue (probably had some smart kids and they kept on undoing the locks or tried to fix the wandering button and just buggered things up severely). From the sounds of things, you are looking at new latches. Can probably pick these up at a local junk yard for under $50. Installing them isn't too bad. Just have to get into the door and undo a few bolts. When you do that, you will be able to tell if someone has been in the rear doors or not before you. I bet you will find the plastic all out of shape (indicating someone has been in there before you).

OP
OP
98EXeb

98EXeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
98EXeb, from the sounds of things, someone has gotten into the doors and "fixed" the child lock issue (probably had some smart kids and they kept on undoing the locks or tried to fix the wandering button and just buggered things up severely). From the sounds of things, you are looking at new latches. Can probably pick these up at a local junk yard for under $50. Installing them isn't too bad. Just have to get into the door and undo a few bolts. When you do that, you will be able to tell if someone has been in the rear doors or not before you. I bet you will find the plastic all out of shape (indicating someone has been in there before you).

OK thanks for the advice...Looks like Im going to put that on the back burner...its not tha big of a deal i dont sit back there....lol and at least I know my 4 yr old cant open the door at all.

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this exact issue with the rear driverside door. I'd like to fix it since the kids aways have to pile out of the passenger side when I drop them off.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I did, take the trim piece from around the lock switch off then spry WD40 into the switch work the switch up and down fast .
With it in the unlocked position try the door put the trim back it should be fine.

OP
OP
98EXeb

98EXeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I did, take the trim piece from around the lock switch off then spry WD40 into the switch work the switch up and down fast .
With it in the unblocked position try the door put the trim back it should be fine.

Ill give that a try and let u know.......thanks!

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The WD-40 trick def works, i tried it on my truck and it worked like a charm. The only downfall is the smell it leaves for a day but let it air out and you will be fine.

Last edited: