Clicking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When driving near a fence or concrete barrier I hear a clicking sound that varies with speed. Any ideas?
I know my 2010 has very loud injectors. Took me a long time to get used to it and still a little unnerving at times.
Edit - Nevermind, not varies with engine speed, but vehicle speed... So wheel bearing, something dragging in brake system, bolt in tire?

Last edited:

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bill McCauley if it is a 4x4, I would check the IWE (Integrated Wheel End). If you don't know already, it is a vacuum actuated part in the hub that releases and engages 4WD. It is subject to vacuum leaks and other problems. This is talked about all over Youtube for Exps and F150s, or hit me up if you need more info as I have had the exact same problem.
If yours is 2WD I am less sure, other than debris in the brake caliper (sounds dumb but it happened to me and seemed like a train wreck). Or wheel bearings, or gravel in the tire, but those seem unlikely from what you described.

OP
OP
B

Bill McCauley

Reaction score
Thanks. It’s a 2007 Expedition rear wheel drive. It almost sounds like a loose hub cap but of course there are none! Just weird. Doesn’t seem to affect anything else. Just worrisome.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a similar situation about a year and a half ago. It was the caliper support spring. It had from what I could tell been bent, likely from previous work rather than replaced and had come slightly loose, it moved off just enough to scrape the back side of the wheel as it went by while still being engaged with the caliper.

It was a rather clear and rhythmic tap/click sound that varied with speed that I could only hear at lower speeds (road noise) or a window open on the highway. It wore a groove into the back of the wheel within the couple days it took me to narrow it down. I swapped the wheel with the one from my spare, replaced the springs on both wheels and good as new.