Cluster Gauges Go Nuts When Distance To Empty Warnings Pop Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmitchell

Reaction score
When distance to empty warnings pop up, starting at 50 miles, the following happens:

1. All the gauges slam full right then full left, repeatedly for about 30-60 seconds.
2. Radio stops playing.
3. AC compressor stops.
4. The hi temp/low oil light comes on and stays on, even after turned off and back on.

If I don't fill up before the next warning, it will happen again. There is no impact on drivability (other than the AC kicking out).

After the first time it happened, I took it to the shop and they replaced the sensor. When it happened again and the light came on, I took it back to the shop and they replaced the sensor again. When it happened the third time, I realized it had nothing to do with either hi temp or low oil and made the connection between the gauges going haywire and the light coming on. Since then, I try to not let the DTE get down to 50.

I have been looking for similar stories for several years now and have yet to see this same behavior reported. Does anyone have any theories? If not, at least the story is out there in case someone else has this happen to them.

Thanxx,
Tom

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When distance to empty warnings pop up, starting at 50 miles, the following happens:

1. All the gauges slam full right then full left, repeatedly for about 30-60 seconds.
2. Radio stops playing.
3. AC compressor stops.
4. The hi temp/low oil light comes on and stays on, even after turned off and back on.

If I don't fill up before the next warning, it will happen again. There is no impact on drivability (other than the AC kicking out).

After the first time it happened, I took it to the shop and they replaced the sensor. When it happened again and the light came on, I took it back to the shop and they replaced the sensor again. When it happened the third time, I realized it had nothing to do with either hi temp or low oil and made the connection between the gauges going haywire and the light coming on. Since then, I try to not let the DTE get down to 50.

I have been looking for similar stories for several years now and have yet to see this same behavior reported. Does anyone have any theories? If not, at least the story is out there in case someone else has this happen to them.

Thanxx,
Tom

You may want to post the year, make, model and engine of the vehicle involved.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be suspecting a problem with a bad earth on the instrument unit. I would try running another wire from the chassis (or battery negative terminal) up to the instrument panel and then wait until the low fuel light comes on, and everything goes haywire, and whilst that is happening connect the wire to the instrument panel and see if everything starts behaving normaly. That would confirm the bad earth.

OP
OP
T

tmitchell

Reaction score
Is this something that could have been caused by a less-than-careful tech during a heater core replacement?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire