Cold, fricken cold!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were -14F this morning, fifth straight night below zero. Weatherman said normal high 31F. Warming up to near 20 by Thursday then back to an even colder snap next weekend according to him. My truck has been running ok, but the ABS light and traction control light are on and the 4WD is not working. Driveway is a sheet of ice so not so much fun.
My 4x4 is out and the dealer basically can’t figure it out, they told me it was a vacuum valve and said they had it locked for New Years so I would have 4x4, I took it today through 3 inches and the truck fell on its face and clearly had no 4WD. Yesterday it wouldn’t even display on the dash when I put it in, today it displays but no 4x4. I think my problem is clearly electrical but the service guys didn’t want to argue and are sending me on my way Tuesday with that part replaced which I know will not fix it, and I’m sure I’ll be paying twice.

Last edited:

david_jr

Reaction score
That's scary! Mine displays ok but does not go into 4WD. This happened to me before about 4 years ago and they said it was the actuators up front were frozen. Same thing got stuck in our flat driveway on ice so I took it in. When I got it back it felt like the truck would climb the side of a house in 4WD. Hope it is something simple this time too. Going to call and make an appointment to bring it in in the morning. At this age (10) years a trip to the service department is not usually less than a house payment (for a nice house)!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's scary! Mine displays ok but does not go into 4WD. This happened to me before about 4 years ago and they said it was the actuators up front were frozen. Same thing got stuck in our flat driveway on ice so I took it in. When I got it back it felt like the truck would climb the side of a house in 4WD. Hope it is something simple this time too. Going to call and make an appointment to bring it in in the morning. At this age (10) years a trip to the service department is not usually less than a house payment (for a nice house)!

My issue is so crazy it is scary, and the dealer nor my shop can figure out what it’s doing. I’m seriously considering purchasing the parts and just having the entire 4WD system replaced at this point.

Last edited:

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just drove the Rhino down to the pond. It was only 62 degrees out there. Pretty doggone chili. I think the ducks were huddling to keep warm.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oops! Better fix that signature. Colorado was over a year ago. 9000 feet, always cold. Now just North of San Diego.

Daveyj

Reaction score
Speakin of COLD and Expy's ... I have broken 2 window regulators on my 03 Expy in the cold weather and they cost hundreds each to have replaced. Happened to me both times in freezing weather so I avoid even trying to roll the window down unless everything is warmed up and the window isn't frozen to the seal. I always clean that line of ice that forms at the window seal. I think there must be a weak plastic part in there that cant take the stress and I don't like the stress of a broken window regulator. I think worst case it fails, falls down, and you have an open window?

Went through this with 04 f150. Replaced 3 of four regulators within a year. No aftermarket options back then. Seemed like they were $250ish for each one. Not too difficult to replace. Just shouldn't have to do that

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And now it’s minus 13. I’ll be starting our truck first thing in the morning to head to an appointment. I’ll try to take video of it starting [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro