Column Shift Overdrive Button Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expy

Reaction score
HELLLP!

I'm getting ready to go on a camping trip and tow my camper with my 2004 Expedition and my overdrive button won't spring back. Its been stuck down for months and since I don't tow much at all, I haven't worried too much about it. (Not a high priority until now. I've got lots on my plate as we all do.) [I normally do turn O/D off driving around town to keep the tranny from dropping into o/d and down-shifting back out too many times, causing additional heat and wear.]

I'm pretty sure coffee or coke didn't get spilled into it since it's on the column and we're pretty careful. Stranger things have happened though, so I tried dripping rubbing alcohol onto the button, and let it drain through the same way a spilled drink might have.

Nothin...

It is stuck at the bottom position. I can get my knife blade under it and move the button up, but it doesn't affect the switch. Once I've moved it up, if I press the button, there is no 'spring' to it, and it just sits back at the bottom position again, and pressing it doesn't switch the O/D status either.

So, the question(s) is(are):
Do I need to replace the shifter, and with that, the O/D switch will be made new (literally)?
Or can I get into the switch by some means that Ford has hushed, since I can't find even a mention of that idea on the interwebz?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!
Expy