Compass module on mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently found a new compass module at pickNpull because the PO never had one on my truck and it would always read "COMPASS NO RESPONSE"
So I plugged it in and calibrated it while it was hanging there and then tried to mount it up on the mirror clip and realized that my mirror mounting clip (attached to the windshield) appears to be too big or not OEM.
Is there any way I can get this thing mounted up there or a way I can get a new mirror from ford and anyone know how to mount those? I've never put on a mirror before. Would love get this compass module up there it's been killing me since I bought the truck.
Any info about the mirror or compass is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do hang on though im working on the leveling kit

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a2b322aa96148ca1ed2cd8de03c34e1f.jpg
I trimmed the plastic very roughly so it would at least fit but it doesn't clip in so I may just need to glue it right the windscreen?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember that was part of the mirror itself...I got mine replaced and the dealership said they didn't make those anymore...so I only have the compass in my message center

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember that was part of the mirror itself...I got mine replaced and the dealership said they didn't make those anymore...so I only have the compass in my message center

Mr. 10K

Yeah I just robbed this compass off of an expy at the pick n pull and it just I clips from the mirror but my mirror appears to have been replaced so I guess I need to get myself a new OEM mirror so that the compass will fit on the bracket that holds the mirror... Just don't know where to get one or how to mount a rear view mirror

robby830

Reaction score
Yeah I just robbed this compass off of an expy at the pick n pull and it just I clips from the mirror but my mirror appears to have been replaced so I guess I need to get myself a new OEM mirror so that the compass will fit on the bracket that holds the mirror... Just don't know where to get one or how to mount a rear view mirror
No rear view mirrors at the pick n pull you can grab? A flathead on the mounting bracket and a small wack with a hammer should release it.

When I bought mine the mirror was sitting in the center console. I used 3M rearview mirror adhesive and it worked perfectly. Make sure to follow instructions and do it when its not too hot outside or do it in the shade.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rear view mirrors at the pick n pull you can grab? A flathead on the mounting bracket and a small wack with a hammer should release it.

When I bought mine the mirror was sitting in the center console. I used 3M rearview mirror adhesive and it worked perfectly. Make sure to follow instructions and do it when its not too hot outside or do it in the shade.

Yeah I guess I could just grab the mirror from the pick and pull too but the issue is that mirror has the auto dim and I don't have a plug for that feature kind of annoying haven't buttons to press that won't do anything... Unless there no buttons on it I'll have to check it out later this week when I get the leveling kit on and bring the expy back on the road lol

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have an Explorer and a few years back I replaced the stock mirror with a Gentex unit with HomeLink garage door opener buttons. The stem on the Gentex was larger than stock, so this compass module didn't fit. I was able to fish the wiring harness behind the headliner and stuff the compass module up behind the overhead console. In face the wiring harness originates up in the dome light area. Works 100% and is completely out of sight. Doesn't have to be level, its electronic.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have an Explorer and a few years back I replaced the stock mirror with a Gentex unit with HomeLink garage door opener buttons. The stem on the Gentex was larger than stock, so this compass module didn't fit. I was able to fish the wiring harness behind the headliner and stuff the compass module up behind the overhead console. In face the wiring harness originates up in the dome light area. Works 100% and is completely out of sight. Doesn't have to be level, its electronic.

Hmm I don't have much room for the giant sensor up there but that help knowing I can really put it anywhere