Condensation in light assembly. Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1HeliCFI

Reaction score
My guess is that this will be a bigger issue with LED vs traditional bulbs. the lens never gets hot enough to dry the condensation. Just like snow collects on LED stoplights when it never did with regular bulbs.

philggg

Reaction score
Here is the funny thing.. I took my car in for the first oil change to the dealer. They gave me a free car wash as part of the deal. When I got home I noticed my right tail light had a LOT of water in it. They must have used a high pressure sprayer that put it in. After two weeks of hot dry weather it is still has a lot of water in it.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine came from the dealer that
Here is the funny thing.. I took my car in for the first oil change to the dealer. They gave me a free car wash as part of the deal. When I got home I noticed my right tail light had a LOT of water in it. They must have used a high pressure sprayer that put it in. After two weeks of hot dry weather it is still has a lot of water in it.

Mine came from the dealer that way. Pulled the taillight assembly, removed the bulb assemblies, poured out a cup of water, and used a small hose hooked to a blow gun to blow out the rest and dry. Still trying to figure out how it got in there. I am thinking that with the shape of the light assemblies that using a high pressure sprayer spraying from the front to the rear causes the stream to go between the taillight assembly and the body, hits the bulb assembly and forces it's way through the seal into the assembly.

Randall

Reaction score
Folks this is not normal for condensation to build up. I used to make the head lights and tail lights as a Tier I to Ford and other OEM's. I just purchased a 2018 Ford Expedition Limited 1/2/2019 and washed it today (1/5/2019) with a water hose no high pressure involved. Condensation developed in both head lights and remained for over 3 hours. This is not a normal condition! This would normally be found with inexpensive aftermarket lights where seals break very quickly. I am going to alert FKTP (Ford Kentucky Truck Plant) to get their input. I still have my 2003 Ford Expedition (perfect condition) and it has never had a condensation issue in any of the lights. Never!

Gordonzoo

Reaction score
Just picked up our 2019 Navigator yesterday. It too had a slight condensation in the headlamp. I fear this will only get worse. It rained today so I will check it closer in the sunlight tomorrow. Our last 2007 Navigator was 10 years old and never had condensation.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Condensation inside any lamp is a no no. Moisture will overheat the plug going to the bulb, and burn them out premature. Too much moisture can actually cause a small fire, if the fuse doesn't trip. It's something you want jump on now. Water and electricity are a bad combo. Don't believe that, bring a hairdryer to your bathtub next time you want to take a bubble bath!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

SpeedyFreedy

Reaction score
Hey all, just bought my first Ford (2018 FX4 XLT Expedition) a week ago after years of Chevy ownership...and the darn taillight is full of water! The 'big droplet' kind. So, where my Tahoe rarely saw the inside of a shop bay for 16 years, here I am missing my big red Ford (which is sitting in the cold at the dealer) and joining you good folks on a Ford forum! Thank you for your input and (future) advice!

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had it on delivery, dealer replaced the rear passenger light, didn't even blink, I pointed it out, he booked it in immediately. Pity they couldn't straighten the tailgate, apparently its "within tolerances". I have barn doors made to closer tolerances.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Condensation inside any lamp is a no no. Moisture will overheat the plug going to the bulb, and burn them out premature. Too much moisture can actually cause a small fire, if the fuse doesn't trip. It's something you want jump on now. Water and electricity are a bad combo. Don't believe that, bring a hairdryer to your bathtub next time you want to take a bubble bath!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I do that all the time.

No fun at all. Those damn GFIs.
And the banks don't give toasters anymore....BORING!!!!

Dmowry

Reaction score
View attachment 38491 View attachment 38492 View attachment 38491 View attachment 38492 Second owner of my 2018 Limited. Usually happens after a wash. Unfortunately sitting at 40,000 miles so I'm past the bumper to bumper. Ford dealership wants me to bring it in when it happens again for them to look for hairline cracks. Hopefully I can talk them into replacing because when the moisture is present it becomes a safety hazard because the brake light stops working. View attachment 38491 View attachment 38492

IMG_20201008_153834.jpg

IMG_20201008_153851.jpg

Last edited: