2020 Plat Max Transmission Normal Temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmm150

Reaction score
I am wondering if others have experienced rising transmission temperatures in the 2020 Plat Max model line. We have about 75k miles. Last week, we took a family of 5 road trip to the midwest for a day's drive and noticed the transmission hitting 255 degrees. Very surprised. This is a first and I wondered if this is normal.

Thanks in advance! -Phil

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wondering if others have experienced rising transmission temperatures in the 2020 Plat Max model line. We have about 75k miles. Last week, we took a family of 5 road trip to the midwest for a day's drive and noticed the transmission hitting 255 degrees. Very surprised. This is a first and I wondered if this is normal.

Thanks in advance! -Phil

Absolutely abnormal. You may try to replace the thermostat. If you are interested in watching the live data for tranny temp, you may purchase an Ultragauge MX 1.4 if the instrument cluster doesn't show a digital number unless the tranny hits a certain temp.

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely abnormal. You may try to replace the thermostat. If you are interested in watching the live data for tranny temp, you may purchase an Ultragauge MX 1.4 if the instrument cluster doesn't show a digital number unless the tranny hits a certain temp.
Did they change that after 19? Mine can show the temp number right in the middle. I usually drive with it up there at all times.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Mine sits around 215 on longer trips in Texas. I have about 57k miles on it.

Also, no need to buy a custom gauge to show the trans temp; forscan can make those numbers show up for free (or the price of an OBD2 adapter), along with a bunch of other nice features. I think I got the offsets from this video but it might also be a selectable drop-down in the non-as-built section of the IPC.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine sits around 215 on longer trips in Texas. I have about 57k miles on it.

Also, no need to buy a custom gauge to show the trans temp; forscan can make those numbers show up for free (or the price of an OBD2 adapter), along with a bunch of other nice features. I think I got the offsets from this video but it might also be a selectable drop-down in the non-as-built section of the IPC.

Just a kind reminder, using Forscan to make these adjustments might void Ford warranty. I would adjust it back to factory setup before going to dealership.

OP
OP
P

Pmm150

Reaction score
My vehicle is the Platinum Max with the towing package. Does anyone know if this package automatically includes the additional transmission cooler as well? Or is this an add-on?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vehicle is the Platinum Max with the towing package. Does anyone know if this package automatically includes the additional transmission cooler as well? Or is this an add-on?
The tow package includes a larger radiator and transmission cooler.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trans temps seem down a good 30 degrees since the new thermostat went in. They were typically 205 even I. Winter without a trailer. Now seem to be like 160-175. Only been a week and I haven’t driven a full hour to say, but I’ve driven long enough that before the change they’d be over 200.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trans temps seem down a good 30 degrees since the new thermostat went in. They were typically 205 even I. Winter without a trailer. Now seem to be like 160-175. Only been a week and I haven’t driven a full hour to say, but I’ve driven long enough that before the change they’d be over 200.
Your new thermostat is RT1258 with 180F? On any day with ambient temp above 60F, my tranny temp is from 200F to 215F after 30 minutes driving with the factory 195F thermostat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett