Considering high mileage Eco Boost - What am I missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper74656

Reaction score
Hi Expy Forums,

I'm looking at used 2015-2017 Expedition ELs and was hoping for some advice. I'm coming from a 2016 Honda Pilot looking for a much more capable tow vehicle.

I see plenty in the 100k mile range and wanted to sanity check my inspection plan.

1. ATF fluid. Probably hasn't ever been changed at 100k. I'm expecting it to be burned pretty bad if the vehicle has been towing, but is that true with the HD tow package and ATF cooler equipped?

2. Spark plugs. Probably originals at 100k and from what I read the coil boots frequently break off when trying to remove them. Any concerns here other than swapping in new plugs? Are new coils necessary at this mileage?

3. Carbon buildup. Assuming no catch can, I figure the carbon buildup on the valves could be pretty bad by 100k, especially if the oil has been neglected. Is there any easy way to evaluate this without a borescope?

Any other suggestions? I know from the Used Expy thread to check for underbody rust, window motors, and give the 4wd system a good workout.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I can offer this:

100,000 miles is not "high mileage" for these trucks. You should expect at least another 50,000 miles of trouble-free driving before encountering costly work if it was cared for properly.

The "two part" troublesome plugs were used in pre-2008 and early 2008 trucks. Ford corrected that problem after that so you'll have no trouble replacing the plugs in later Fords.

The transmission fluid should be changed by 100K miles if used in severe service, but unless the truck was mishandled, it shouldn't be "burnt". It it's burnt you have bigger problems. Today's fluid is nearly completely synthetic, and is very durable. Millions of these transmissions are running fine with well over 100K miles on their original fluid.

Let's see what others have to say.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Expy Forums,

I'm looking at used 2015-2017 Expedition ELs and was hoping for some advice. I'm coming from a 2016 Honda Pilot looking for a much more capable tow vehicle.

I see plenty in the 100k mile range and wanted to sanity check my inspection plan.

1. ATF fluid. Probably hasn't ever been changed at 100k. I'm expecting it to be burned pretty bad if the vehicle has been towing, but is that true with the HD tow package and ATF cooler equipped?

2. Spark plugs. Probably originals at 100k and from what I read the coil boots frequently break off when trying to remove them. Any concerns here other than swapping in new plugs? Are new coils necessary at this mileage?

3. Carbon buildup. Assuming no catch can, I figure the carbon buildup on the valves could be pretty bad by 100k, especially if the oil has been neglected. Is there any easy way to evaluate this without a borescope?

Any other suggestions? I know from the Used Expy thread to check for underbody rust, window motors, and give the 4wd system a good workout.

#2 - I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limtied 4x4, and changed the original spark plugs at 45,000 miles. I do not tow and use it strictly for passenger use, often on state routes or rural roads (rarely short trips).

The spark plugs looked liked they had 200,000 miles on them. Burnt, black and the gap was widened. I use top-tier fuel and these were the worst plugs I’ve seen for many years. I plan to change them again at 90,000 miles (correct MotorCraft plugs).

The coils were difficult to remove, but I took my time and didn’t break anything. I used plenty of silicone dielectric grease on the bottom of the boot, as well as the top circumference of the coil pack (rubber seal) - which seemed to be the reason the coils were so hard to remove.

My water pump was recently replaced at 80,*** miles at the dealer. The pump seems to fail before 100,000 miles.

I had the transmission fluid and filter changed at the dealership at 75,000 miles. They wanted to do a flush with an aftermarket machine, but I had them do what Ford recommends.

I plan to do the rear differential fluid myself when I do the spark plugs.

Good luck - let us know what you decide.

OP
OP
V

Viper74656

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback @Trainmaster and @99WhiteC5Coupe.

Good to know the Mercon LV ATFs hold up pretty well. 100k miles is super impressive to not be destroyed. I'm not a fan of the "lifetime" fluids a lot of OEMs are going to, but I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I may invest in a cheap borescope to check out the intake manifold, but from various F-150 forums it doesn't sound like the carbon buildup has too much negative effect on these engines. As long as it hasn't been too neglected I'll be willing to go for it.

I've got an EL with 105k miles from CarMax being shipped out to me. It's a RWD Limited (I'd probably prefer 4wd) but as long as it checks out OK I'll probably go for it. Not sure how much more I'm willing to pay for lower miles.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
That’s a huge risk. I missed the price of that truck but you’re buying it right when it’s going to need tons of repairs and maintenance.

Mjhcobra

Reaction score
I would drive it and make sure it does not have the "shudder" that seems to plague the Expeditions. You will feel it, like driving over a rumble strip, but there is no rumble strip. I have read so many causes for the shudder. I am chasing this in mine and hope that it is one of the coil packs. Good luck with your purchase.

Brons2

Reaction score
I drove a 2016 Navigator last year with almost 200K on it. The interior and paint were pristine, but it had the rough startup issue, and threw a code before we even drove off the dealer lot. It was hard to take a pass because the interior was perfect, but in the end I passed on it.

OP
OP
V

Viper74656

Reaction score
That’s a huge risk. I missed the price of that truck but you’re buying it right when it’s going to need tons of repairs and maintenance.
You're telling me! This one (2016 Limited) is $30k. Sucky time to buy a used car, but at least my trade in value is elevated as well. Looking at a similar XLT (2017) with only 65k miles but for $37k! Steep price to pay for one year newer and 40k fewer miles, but one big repair wipes the money is save. If new ones weren't so insanely expensive I'd consider one just to avoid the potential headaches.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good extended warranty will give you peace of mind. We bought our 16 Limited last year with 100k on it. I was a little nervous about it, but extended warranty helped with that and the price was good. Have used the warranty once for the rear diff clutch packs, would have been about a $1200 repair. We haven't had any issues with it other than that, 122k on it now. I went through and got all the fluids up to date.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 121K on my '17, bought new in 11/16. It is completely and 100% stock even with the orginal Sync version. No catch cans, no mods. The $35 console spring broke along with a couple of burned out bulbs, that's it--okay?

The problem you have as a buyer is that none of the things you WANT to look at, are easy to access. Pulling a plug or two to check combustion compression, checking engine and tranny oil.....of those, the only thing you can easily do is to check the oil cap and pray no one has touched it.

Of course if the comp was low, it would throw a code....so actually, your job is easier. Make sure it runs, stops(from highway speeds) without drama and the engine should run smoothly from startup to warm. I would open the throttle body to view.....it should be dirty, if it isn't, the engine should run perfectly....if it doesn't, they may have cleaned the TB in an effort to fix a rough running engine so look for the cause if that's the case.

All that said, there seems to be a thing with the plastic impeller fins coming off the water pump, there seems to be an issue with some throttle bodies, there is an issue with coolant connections at the turbos, there seems to be an issue with one of the branch wiring harnesses to the interior blower motor......however I have seen none of these things in mine.....and it gets railed daily on the exit/entry ramp to RT 97 daily and i's been drifted through both the Tail of the Dragon and Tail of the Dragon 2.0 in VA.

I have told others;
"Even if you drive your Expedition like you stole it, I'll likely catch up to you in the turns, quite quickly! "

Guess that's not what they want to see in the defensive driving course?

good luck,

jeff

FWIW: I bought a SLK a bunch of years ago, for peace of mind, I bought 6 yr/150K bumper to bumper for 1600 bucks..........that I never used once. I now have 192,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205