Constant whirring sound in the engine compartment 2000 Exp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HighSierra49er

HighSierra49er

Reaction score
This morning I rotated the tires on the Exp. and checked to make sure that all ABS sensors were not fouled or defective. Nothing out of the ordinary was found. I also checked my pre-start service lights in the dash and found that the ABS light was defective, the only light in the cluster to not light up.

The local auto parts stores are asking between $331 and $392 for a rebuilt module. Several web based companies offer to rebuild your module at a much lower price and two had 100% positive feedback from customers. Most of the shops rebuild numerous variations of this module for GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles. The module will be on its way tomorrow morning for a seven day turnaround for rebuilding.

The only option with Ford is to purchase a complete assembly of the pump, motor and module in the $700 ballpark.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, I pulled out my 2000 owners book and found that the #102/ 50 amp maxi fuse is in fact for the four wheel anti lock brake module. It's an amazing time we live and drive. I remember not too long back when you had to pump your brakes, and pray you didn't hit what was in front of you. Ain't it wonderful that you just mash hard on our 5800 pound sleds, and magically we get to go home for dinner.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had this same issue, and the fix was replacing with a new (or in my case, used) ABS pump.

I believe the issue is in the electronics module of the pump, rather than the mechanical pump itself, but it seems nigh impossible to separate that module, so I said screw it, and replaced the whole assembly.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They CAN be separated but no one will sell you just the module. You can pull one from a scrap yard or something, or you can separate them and tear apart the control module. They are pretty simple to rebuild if you are handy with a soldering iron, there are just a few terminals that need to be reflowed. YouTube tutorials abound, and there are people on eBay that will do it for you for a nominal fee.

Reaction score
This might sound strange...but bare with me. Have you ever replaced or resealed the windshield? If not, this may be your solution. My '00 Expedition began having a problem with the heating / air fans turning on full blast when I turned the ignition off. It would completely drain the battery. After a lot of heartache and research I learned that this generation of expedition and F-150 would allow a leak in the windshield. It's not visible or easily detected. The water would run down the pillar and collect behind the dash. Eventually it begins to drip into the GEM module and create all sorts of electrical issues with various electrical symptoms.

This may not be your problem, but would be worth checking out. Fixing the leak fixes the cause of the problem, but you may need to dry out the GEM as well before symptoms subside. Just pray there is no long term damage from it (there wasn't any for me).

Good luck with your fix!

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the ABS module is running non-stop, this wouldn't be a GEM-related issue.

Not discounting all of the issues that a wet GEM (or, in my estimation, more of a wetness-related short issue in the fuse box rather than the GEM itself), but the ABS module taking a dump is a not uncommon issue.

OP
OP
HighSierra49er

HighSierra49er

Reaction score
Knowing that the screws likely would be an issue, I early in the morning applied a bit of penetrating oil to them. In order to get a solid bite to the T-5 Torx screws to prevent damage to the heads, I ended up using two extensions and one swivel to get the ratchet up to an area where I could get some leverage on the screw heads and have the socket directly on the screws. Also completely removed the air filter canister to give me as much room in the area as possible. All four screws did break loose with a slight snap sound, and at that point it was easy to remove them with my fingers. The screws are only 1/8" diameter and it would seem that it takes a bit too much torque to break them loose. I was waiting to find that I had twisted a head off, but they came out in perfect condition. The two electrical connections were quick work. The module is on its way to a eBay electronics shop that specializes in this type of repair. All in all it wasn't a bad job and took about 30 minutes overall.

Jon Hedges

Reaction score
The problem is the ANTILOCK brake module/servo that sits on the brake ma automatically or by the brake master cylinder and pumps the brakes to keep you straight in a skid.

The one in my 2000 Expy did the same thing years ago. I simply pulled fuse 102 and to this day pump the brakes my self.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you got it off OK. Factories Love using red lock tite, works great but a real s.o.b.. You might want to use a little blue loctite during reassembly.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
See this string: "ABS controller gone bad" Here's what I posted in that string:
I have a 2000 Expedition I've had since new. In 2009 at 166,000 the electronic module of the ABS system went bad. Like wpatters1229 describes in the string I noted above, the pump just kept running at a high pitch, even with the key off. I pulled the electrical connector to the ABS to kill the pump. Later I pulled the electronic control module off the ABS assembly and shipped to ModuleMaster in Moscow, ID. They repaired and returned my module for $155 with a five year warranty. While it was being repaired I covered the hydraulic portion of the ABS that I had left in place with a plastic bag and a zip tie to keep the dirt out and just drove it without the ABS. Having had many vehicles in my life without ABS, this was not an issue. My rebuilt module has now been working for 129,000 miles and eight and half years. So the entire repair cost me $155. I just looked on the internet and Module Master in Moscow still appears to be in business. And I'm a firm believer in ABS. It's probably saved me from a few accidents. And we have ABS (aka anti-skid) in many aircraft including passenger jets and fighters (like that Phantom in the picture to the left). There would be a lot more blown aircraft tires without it. Aircraft anti-skid pre-dates the ABS we have on cars and trucks. My $.02 - it's easy to pull and replace the electronic control module and you don't have to disrupt the hydraulic portion. I'd pull the electronic module and send it Module Master. At least that's what worked for me. In 2009 Ford would only sell the complete unit and it was $650 back then. You can also buy an aftermarket electronic control module at many parts stores.