Contaminated Refrigerant Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been through two vehicle repurchases (lemon law buybacks).

My state requires the manufacture to pay reasonable attorney fees.

Your vehicle clearly qualifies as a “lemon” in your state. I suggest contacting an attorney that specializes in your state’s lemon law. Ford will be more responsive and you will not have to “guess” what to do.

Your newly purchased vehicle will never be right, and you’ll never be happy with it. It is inexcusable that an authorized dealer cannot fix your vehicle in over 60 days.

Good luck.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can find find the date on the label behind the rear of the drivers door on the B pillar at the bottom
Ours was MFG. 01/18/2018
we live in Arizona & fortunately our AC works very well
Shame on UNCLE SAM/EPA for forcing the vehicle MFG's to use this ridiculously priced refrigerant (1234yf)
Just looked online and best price for this refrigerant in $100.00 a lb
Just stupid expensive & really not necessary

Dormammu

Reaction score
So this is our situation with our vehicle too.

I've posted more than once here about our A/C problems. Our manuf date is January of 2018.

We haven't taken it in yet but I'll update when we do.

Between this, the misaligned quarter panel and the bubbling paint, I think we'll be dumping the Expedition.

Last edited:

firstford

Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_4059.jpeg

I see February 2018 -2/18- but no day of manufacture. Is the day listed somewhere?

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW
Equipment not that expensive
Not sure why ford would not just send one of theses to each dealer
Would probably be cheaper than shipping one unit all over the USA even if it was discarded after being used to capture the contaminated REF.
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.co...p0ORn7VKiDl7De-BrKBOvA5YRkIee0RkaApfwEALw_wcB
It may have more to do with disposal of contaminated refrigerant. Figure you can do 12-13 vehicles per recovery cylinder(30lb) before it has to be sent in and purged. That means a lot of cylinders given the amount of vehicles likely affected. I imagine there may be a shortage and possibly a longer turn around time. Another issue is that a dedicated contaminated refrigerant recovery machine has to be used and the refrigerant has to be disposed of. A recycling machine for R1234rf will not recover contaminated refrigerant, it is one of the new rules. Being that the new refrigerant can be contaminated by air and has a life of 11 days in the atmosphere, it would be safe to assume the systems on the vehicles with contamination were probably not vacuumed down prior to charging.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
We have started experiencing the same issue. Build date 01/26/2018. Taking it in this week. Thank you for the heads up!

UPDATE: Called dealer and gave them the VIN. They are ordering the equipment and parts to replace the A/C. It sounds like removing the contaminated refrigerant would essentially disable the machine so severely that it can only be used once? Either way, we are avoiding the loss of our vehicle, at least for the extensive time period that you described, so THANK YOU!! for posting this.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As our Mod and other have told you, to expedite resolution, consult with an attorney. Fwiw, my son who is, has told me that it's fairly common knowledge that with an Attorney, Manufacturers will agree to a Buyback MUCH easier than you think!

Good luck, you have endured as long or longer than the most reasonable could expect......

jeff