Coolant flow restrictor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently replaced both front heater hoses and now I can hear water flowing from behind the dash. The system was vacuumed filled with coolant and the temp measured inside the vent was a round 120 degrees so I don't think there is an air bubble in there. Ive heard that you can put a flow restrictor in the heater hose inlet line to help prevent this problem. If this is true dose anyone know where i could find one?

Thanks

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had a Town Car do this. How is your heat and temp gauge? Are both low? Mine were and it had air in the system. I found a plug near the crossover on the intake. I removed it and saw there was no coolant in the tube. I only added a small amount and filled to the top. Your vehicle has a different intake, so try squeezing the upper hose. I have drained my coolant on my 2000 and didn't have to vacuum fill it. The air is released in the degas bottle, when you crack the cap.

OP
OP
00XTL

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heat is great. Blows very warm. Everything works great. Coolant is where it need to be and never runs low. I stuck a thermometer inside the vent and it read 120 at idle.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The previous owner of my old 99 Town Car, had put a new intake on it. I could hear water sloshing, under the dash. The temp gauge seemed too low. The heat worked, but not that great. The coolant level was at full mark. After I added coolant into the crossover, the noise stopped, the gauge went up to mid level and heat felt normal. I am guessing a pocket of air was trapped.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I believe the original hoses had a flow restriction crimped in them. Check the hoses you removed or look at another car for its location.

OP
OP
00XTL

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I dont have the old hoses anymore, but i think I’m going to remove the inlet hose and see if there a restrictor inside and the check the intake crossover as well

Thnaks

OP
OP
00XTL

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So i took the inlet hose off and saw that there is a restrictor where it hooks to the intake cross over. For what ever reason, now it only makes the noise what i start the engine and not while drive. Maybe ill buy a nother restrictor and put it closer to the heater core connection?.